Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Mine love their squash, peas, and salmon food.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #12 
MsGita

Mine loves peas, broccoli and grapes.
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #13 
xShainax

xD Big momma tore a piece of lettuce off and was trying to eat it and when I gently took it out of her mouth, she flared and swam away giving me a dirty look.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden

So many sweet goldfish faces! ^_^ I actually saw a really neat black moor at Petco the other day. I seriously considered it, but I'd really rather have a ranchu instead. And all of those pictures Olympia posted didn't help either! ;p

LBF, you could also try duckweed to give your comets some more greens in their diet. My goldfish act like it's candy when I add it to the tank.

As for filters, canisters are best. They are so much more powerful than HOB's. If you have to use an HOB I like the Aquaclear models. I have two Aquaclear 70's on my goldfish tank. I had to baffle the flow a bit as it was pretty strong for my clumsy fancies, but I do like the filter a lot. It has a ton of room for customizable media.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #15 
homegrown terror

twice in the last week i've had to perform emergency "surgery" on our goldfish...while "cleaning" their gravel, they sucked in a piece that was too big, and got lodged behind their lips. i scooped them out into just enough water to breathe but not enough to squirm too much, and used tweezers to gently twist the gravel around till it could slide out. it's a frightening experience, but so rewarding to see them swim off in relief to be free of the stoney ouchness in their mouths.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #16 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
stoney ouchness in their mouths.
That made me squee in happiness since it was so cute
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ranchu are the best.
I have a huge algae problem from the home made foods, more gelatin next time. But the canister does a great job at cleaning the tank. My guys spend pretty much all day chewing on sand.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
twice in the last week i've had to perform emergency "surgery" on our goldfish...while "cleaning" their gravel, they sucked in a piece that was too big, and got lodged behind their lips. i scooped them out into just enough water to breathe but not enough to squirm too much, and used tweezers to gently twist the gravel around till it could slide out. it's a frightening experience, but so rewarding to see them swim off in relief to be free of the stoney ouchness in their mouths.
This is one of the reasons that more and more GF keepers are advocating sand in GF tanks. I got rid of the gravel after my goldfish became large enough to swallow pieces. I never saw it happen, but I didn't want to take the chance. Plus, I've heard from breeders that sand helps with digestion problems (which like 80% of fancy goldfish seem to have).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #19 
twolovers101

I've never owned goldfish, but I REALLY want to when I have more room for a bigger tank and whatnot

They seem so fun and interesting (plus, I'm the type of person who likes stereotypes.... so I kinda want to get a GAINT bowl tank for them to live in XD)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #20 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
This is one of the reasons that more and more GF keepers are advocating sand in GF tanks. I got rid of the gravel after my goldfish became large enough to swallow pieces. I never saw it happen, but I didn't want to take the chance. Plus, I've heard from breeders that sand helps with digestion problems (which like 80% of fancy goldfish seem to have).
The goldfish in the LPS always pick pieces of gravel up and then spit them out.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote