Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Two words

Sponge filter
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #12 
reaperscreepers

so with sponge filter, i dont need co2 for the plants?

sorry for all the noob question..
reaperscreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #13 
LizzyP

Co2 injections depend on the type of plants.

And, a sponge filter is a kind of filter that doesn't make any current for bettas. Maybe you should read up a little more about cycling before getting into it.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #14 
Karebear13

You could get a sponge filter it is less current for the betta... what kind of plants do you have in the tank?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #15 
Karebear13

whoops didn't see that some people already posted about the sponge filter. But yes it is the best filter for bettas. A sponge filter consists of a sponge, tubing, and an air pump!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's not likely you have plants that require CO2 injection and high wattage lighting. If you did, you'd know about it already.

Use around 1W per gallon at around 6500Kelvin color temperature. You'll be able to grow a variety of low-medium light plants. See the sticky for beginner plants in the "Tanks and habitats" section.

Here's the easy way to cycle a tamk. It works best with a liquid water-test kit: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

These are among the best sponge filters. You can get cheaper ones on Amazon that work almost as well. Aquarium Sponge Filter; ATI Hydrosponge Bio Filters and Replacement Sponges.
The Tetra Whisper is a good air-pump for the price.

Excuse me, Reapers, while I address the forum:

(C'mon, you guys. You can be a little less cryptic and a little more helpful. You can write more than a paragraph of advice. And you know where the good stickies are.)

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-08-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #17 
reaperscreepers

thanks for the help guys..

i actually took 2 days reading up on cycling but cant really find a firm answer if i need a filter..

anyway i bought a filter but not the sponge filter as i bought it before i saw hallyx's reply..

yes there is quite a current when i use my filter so i manage to tune it to the lowest..
reaperscreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #18 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperscreepers View Post
thanks for the help guys..

i actually took 2 days reading up on cycling but cant really find a firm answer if i need a filter..

anyway i bought a filter but not the sponge filter as i bought it before i saw hallyx's reply..

yes there is quite a current when i use my filter so i manage to tune it to the lowest..
YES! You need a filter to have a cycle and a succesful tank. A cycle is when bacteria builds up in the media in the filter, that hekps break down deadly ammonia and fish waste. A cycle can take 4-8 weeks, so untill then, you need to be doing frequent water changes, i suggest 2 50% a week, and 1 100% a week.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A 100% water change implies removing the fish thoroughly cleaning the tank and it contents. If you are cycling the tank, this is NOT what you want to do. You want the nitrifying bacteria to grow in your tank and,especially, in your filter.

Read Old Fish Lady's sticky again. She recommends 2x50% changes per week (I think). This should keep your ammonia down to acceptable levels (<0.25ppm).

You can assure your readings are acceptable by testing your water. This is the test kit most of us use around here:[ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349837794&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=API+tesr+kit]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Buy a thermometer or a bottle of Prime conditioner along with that and the shipping is free.

Get back to us with any questions.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

OK, Hallyx, I'll type as much as info as possible! C: Just wait..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote