Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Talking There's a baby shrimp in my tank!

I had two ghost shrimp in my 5 gallon, but I hadn't seen them since before last weekend. Then Lila jumped out of her tank and died ( :o( ) so I haven't really looked inside the tank much because there's nothing to look at. I thought she ate the shrimp because I hadn't seen them since a day or two before she died. So anyway, last night I turned the light on in the tank because the plants need light. I'm keeping the tank up and running for when Fishie's tail heals and I can move him out of his hospital tank. So anyway, I turned on the light and a few minutes later, there was one of my shrimp chilling out on top of the terra cotta pot. I was like, "Well hello there." because that was a total surprise. Anyway, I kept looking over every few minutes and he was still sitting there. Then I looked over another time and he was gone. These guys seriously have the most appropriate name. They almost literally disappear so that I can't even find them for over a week. Anyway, I didn't see him anymore last night, but I saw him again this morning. He's gotten a lot bigger since the last time I saw him. Maybe he was hiding somewhere and molting for a few days?
Anyway, I was playing around with the filter a few minutes ago, and then I was looking in the tank again, and suddenly I saw this little thing moving and I was like what was that? It was about the size of a grain of rice and I realized it was baby shrimp! Aah! A few seconds later it floated up and then zoomed into the terra cotta pot really fast. So I guess one of my shrimp is a she. I don't know why I didn't see either of them carrying eggs. When I got them, I bought three of them, and one of them had eggs. She died a few days later, though. I didn't see eggs on either of the other ones. So anyway, this is pretty exciting. If there's one baby there may be more, right? One of the adults is actually actively swimming around the tank now. I wonder if both of the adults are still alive because I only see one adult each time I actually see it, and I saw the one baby... hmmm...
Now hopefully Fishie won't gobble them up when I put him back in this tank.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's a little hard for the ghost shrimp babies to survive...

I sugget if you want it to.. leave bettas out of it. lol
it also filter feeds on microscopic stuff >.>
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

I just found out it's a scud. lol. Must have hitchhiked in on my plants.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #4 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I just found out it's a scud. lol. Must have hitchhiked in on my plants.
Scuds are cool!

If it breeds , free betta food!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

I don't want my betta to eat it tho because it's cute. lol
It kind of skips and prances along the bottom of my tank.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Those are cute, I had one too from some plants but it died a couple of days after I first saw it in with my pond snails. It was so fast I didnt know what it was till I asked Mo and he sent me a picture to look at, I was sad it died it was fun to watch !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote