Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 
fairy74

What to do with this plant?

So i have had my tank up and running for a few months now with a sorority that are still doing very well and five cories.

My questions are... firstly the Anubias is growing well attatched to an ornament but the rhizomes (i think thats what they are called) are now growing down towards the sand as you can see in the picture.Is this ok? if not what am i best doing now?

Also the brown algae is appearing every few days on pretty much everything and i am having to clean it off twice a week..is this normal and is there anything i can do about this?

Thanks for any replies.
Attached Images

fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 
starrlamia

the anubias should be fine.
As for algae, how long are your photoperiods? I would cut down on them, as it is usually the cause of algae.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #3 
fairy74

How long should the lights be left on for?

The tank has two daylight bulbs which to be honest are not overly bright so i have left them on probably sometimes for around 9-10 hours a day.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #4 
SpookyTooth

That rhizome is an absolute stunner! You have a really thick and healthy plant there. The things dripping into the sand are the roots, if they bury themselves into the sand don't worry; the rhizome is what needs to stay above-ground and that is absolutely fine where it is (the rhizome is the large chunky bit that all roots and leaves from come).
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #5 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy74 View Post
How long should the lights be left on for?

The tank has two daylight bulbs which to be honest are not overly bright so i have left them on probably sometimes for around 9-10 hours a day.
It's more about colour temperature than brightness, I would cut down to 6 hours a day, see if the algae goes away. If it doesn't cut down another hour. Once algae is gone you can start adding time again. Algae appears generally due to too much light or other resource the plants aren't using like to much ferts. Your plants should be fine with less light.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Because anubias as so slow growing they seem to be a target for algae. I find I usually get diatoms on mine, even in tanks with only natural or ambient lighting.

Try cutting down on your photo period (do you know the K rating and wattage of your lights?) but if that doesn't do anything, you may just have to just gently wipe the diatoms off during your regular tank maintenance.

Diatoms are fairly common in new set-ups and may also be caused by excess silicates. I always have diatoms of some form in most of my set-ups. It is unsightly, but easily removed with my hand or a piece of filter sponge.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #7 
kfryman

I thought brown algae, or diatoms, weren't effected by photoperiod and it has more to deal with silcates.

Those are just roots. Nothing to worry about. People often bury the anubias with rhizome above the substrate.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #8 
fairy74

Would it be worth getting an algae eater? if so what is recommended?

I have seven female bettas and five cories at the moment.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #9 
Hopeseeker

What size tank do you have?
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #10 
fairy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
What size tank do you have?
Its a 30 gallon.