Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

i realllly like pond snails because they clean protein films...
my tank with no filter and pond snail has a crystal clear surface compared to my filtered non pond snail tank, even the surface agitation from the filter cannot clean the film as wel as my snails !

if you dont over feed your betta they really should not become a problem at all. If you dont like those, I recommend MTS for their low bioload. and if you realllly dont want your snails to breed at all... get a nerite... but i take it that you had bad experience with those...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #12 
Karebear13

I would recommend some java moss for your tank too! it helps get rid of the nitrites quicker so hopefully you will have a speedy cycle started!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #13 
RedRaz

Thanks aokashi! Yeah I hear such negative things about Pond snails but I personally love snails just had that bad experience with that nerite snail. I still don't know what really happened. I'm seeing now that snails do help just gotta keep the population down. ;) I might try a nerite again. Or see what stowaway snail I get with my anacharis. lol! :D

Thank you Karebear! I was thinking about getting java moss. :) I'm very excited about adding all my plants. I just know my betta Babe will love his new home once it is ready.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #14 
Bettanewbie60

I put all my plants, and fish in the same day...I just did partial water changes. I also have just a gravel substrate. I did buy a liquid fertilizer, but I haven't used any yet. My first tank is doing amazingly well, my second one has been a bit slower in growth, but it hasn't been up as long.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #15 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
Thanks aokashi! Yeah I hear such negative things about Pond snails but I personally love snails just had that bad experience with that nerite snail. I still don't know what really happened. I'm seeing now that snails do help just gotta keep the population down. ;) I might try a nerite again. Or see what stowaway snail I get with my anacharis. lol! :D

Thank you Karebear! I was thinking about getting java moss. :) I'm very excited about adding all my plants. I just know my betta Babe will love his new home once it is ready.
Oh, and I like the hitchhiker snails..they don't bother me. When they got a little out of hand I just bought an assassin snail. He does a great job keeping them in check!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #16 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I put all my plants, and fish in the same day...I just did partial water changes. I also have just a gravel substrate. I did buy a liquid fertilizer, but I haven't used any yet. My first tank is doing amazingly well, my second one has been a bit slower in growth, but it hasn't been up as long.
I hear people do this a lot and IDK why but it scares me, lol! I think it's because of how the regular way to cycle a tank you have to wait. This way is very different and honestly sounds like a great way to maintain a cycle. Well the plants do a lot of the work, lol.

What size is your tank? How often do you do water changes? Also do you have any shrimp or snails in your tank? Just wondering how things work.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #17 
RedRaz

Quote:
Oh, and I like the hitchhiker snails..they don't bother me. When they got a little out of hand I just bought an assassin snail. He does a great job keeping them in check!
That is good to know. My big guy might eat the snails though. Now that I think of it. He is pretty aggressive. He attacks the turkey baster when I put it in his tank, lol!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #18 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
I hear people do this a lot and IDK why but it scares me, lol! I think it's because of how the regular way to cycle a tank you have to wait. This way is very different and honestly sounds like a great way to maintain a cycle. Well the plants do a lot of the work, lol.

What size is your tank? How often do you do water changes? Also do you have any shrimp or snails in your tank? Just wondering how things work.
At the beginning I did 50% changes twice a week, but I really put in a ton of plants too. I have a couple of ghost shrimp, the assassin snail, some regular snails that came on my plants, and I have 5 cardinal tetras in that tank also..it is divided with 8g on one side and 2g on the other for my two bettas. So far everyone is doing great! (10g tank lol) I have never cycled any of my tanks, but it was mostly because I didn't know anything about cycles etc. Now, I just do it because I always have. I know a lot of folks prefer to cycle. I guess with a larger than 10g tank I would cycle, but all of my tanks are 10 and under.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #19 
RedRaz

Quote:
At the beginning I did 50% changes twice a week, but I really put in a ton of plants too. I have a couple of ghost shrimp, the assassin snail, some regular snails that came on my plants, and I have 5 cardinal tetras in that tank also..it is divided with 8g on one side and 2g on the other for my two bettas. So far everyone is doing great! (10g tank lol) I have never cycled any of my tanks, but it was mostly because I didn't know anything about cycles etc. Now, I just do it because I always have. I know a lot of folks prefer to cycle. I guess with a larger than 10g tank I would cycle, but all of my tanks are 10 and under.
Oh Okay I getcha. Well you are doing a great job. ;) I think I may need more plants for my 10 gal. What kind of plants do you have btw? Sorry for all the questions. :/
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #20 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Oh Okay I getcha. Well you are doing a great job. ;) I think I may need more plants for my 10 gal. What kind of plants do you have btw? Sorry for all the questions. :/
No problem with the questions..I still ask a lot lol! I have some anacharis, cabomba carolinia, bacopa, and baby tears. I got them during a $1bunch sale at my local pet store, so it was easy to get started with a lot of plants. I also use a gro light from walmart that was only $10..lol, I'm pretty low tech I guess!