Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Recommended Filter and Lid for 20 Gallon?

I'm getting a 20 gallon long for my sorority, and I need some recommended filters. I'm more used to small tanks or as you say "Nano". Any recommendations? I still like sponge filters the most so if you have any recommended brands, I'd be glad to see! I've heard Drs. Foster & Smith are good but I lost that bookmark. I also need a lid to cover my tank... I heard Craft Mesh was good but eh... You never know. To sum it up...
- A filter for 20G, supposedly sponge filters
- A lid

Thank you!

P.S. Is anyone experiencing slow loading on the Betta Fish Forum..? I'm using TFK right now...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #2 
Leopardfire

I got an aqua clear 30 for my 20 gallon. It keeps the water nice and clean but it is not too powerful for my betta. It's not too expensive either. For a lid, I just got one from petco, but I'm sure you can find cheaper ones somewhere else. The lid I have works well and it is easy to open and feed the fish.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I've heard about those Aqua Clears. Looks pretty good and nice reviews. :D But I still think sponge filters are better. I don't need an aerator if I get a sponge one, I'm getting Cories too but I also heard they breath from the surface. Is the lid online?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #4 
Leopardfire

It's online and in stores, but I think it's slightly cheaper in store. Here's the link to the hood I got: Aqueon Deluxe Full Fluorescent Black Aquarium Hoods - Aquarium Hood and Fish Tank Light from petco.com
It doesn't look like much in the pic, but it's a nice hood and it looks decent.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks for the link! I'll look into it in my Petsmart. :)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

I second the Aquaclear suggestion. Best HOB filters, IMO. You don't actually need aeration in your tank unless it's very warm (above 85F which cories can't do) or extremely heavily stocked. I don't aerate my tropical tanks and have never had a problem with low oxygen. The only benefit I see for a sponge filter over a Aquaclear is that the sponge filter will be cheaper.

As for a hood, just get the basic ones from Petsmart. The hood that Leopardfire linked is the type of hood that I have on every single tank of mine. It comes with a T8 fixture in case you want live plants.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Oh.. Then the Aqua Clear seems to be the best way to go! :) I'm only having 6 Cories, 8 Bettas, and 1 Mystery Snail and 6-10 Ghost Shrimp. That seems to be full stocked, correct? I'll be getting the Aqua Clear 30...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

That is a pretty good stock for a 20 L. Not too much and not too little (in the case of the females that is!).
Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Hopefully everyone will get a chance to eat. >.< You have a sorority, don't you? You sound like you do.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

I planned to at one point, but I did a lot of research into it. I found out how much work/trouble they are and decided against it. My 29 gal became a tropical community instead.