Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1 
Kelticatheo

Black edge = fin rot?

Hello, my name is Theo. I am new to this forum and to the Betta fish world. My Betta, Curiosity, came home about month and a half ago. He is very active, extremely curious (as the name imply) and feisty. He eats well and interacts with me every second. From time to time he makes happy bubble nests. Despite his happy normal behavioural pattern, some of his physical features raise concern in my inexperienced mind .

I have two questions:

1. My Curiosity seems to develop black edge, particularly in the middle fin. It has been there for a couple of weeks, but I was oblivious to the potential disease until now. The area seems to grow bigger very..verrry..slowly. Now I can see the edge of his side-flapping fins (sorry for my lack of knowledge in fish anatomy) starting to have barely-visible black boarder as well. Is this the sign of a Fin Rot? If it is, how should I cure my little baby? He had some fin loss due to physical contact with the plastic flower I gave him.. I replaced them right away..!

2. Ever since Curiosity came home his gill and face region under his mouth displayed white...ish.. silver.. colouring. I was wondering if they are normal appearance for a Betta fish, or if it is a symptom of trouble. I certainly hope it is normal. Some posts in this forum made me very nervous over the past hour or so. The colour in these pictures may seem a bit exaggerated due to increased lighting during the shoot.

Thank you very much for your time!!
Kelticatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
Luimeril

hhmm... the silver on his face is pretty normal. :V it's the black you want to watch.

how big is his tank? and how often do you change his water?

to cure it..... keep his water clean. and add a teaspoon of aquarium salt, per gallon of water he has, to a cup of water and add it slowly to his water. that should help out a lot. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #3 
Kelticatheo

I am not familiar with gallons, but it's a square tank with 12cm^3 dimension. The store keeper told me it's a good size for one betta to live, but since my Curiosity loves water-dashing, we are planning to buy him a bigger tank. I do 100% water change every week. Sometimes if it seems necessary I do additional 25% water change from time to time.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #4 
Luimeril

hhmm. :I had to go to an aquarium size calculator for this one.

that tank's a bit too small. as you said, your betta's very active, so getting him a tank of at least 2 gallons would be great for him.

also, in a tank that size, you should be doing at least 2 100% water changes every week. that'd also help out with his fin rot. some people suggest every other day water changes in a tank that small. x:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #5 
Kelticatheo

Thank you so much for your advice! I am slightly worried that Curiosity might get stressed during the 100% water change every other day, but I guess some measures for cure cannot be helped! Is there specific type or brand of aquarium salt I should use? Is medication not necessary for a mild case of fin rot?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 
Luimeril

twice a week would be okay, imo.

for aquarium salt, i'm not sure what brands there are out there. i have Jungle's brand, but i've also had API's brand. you want aquarium salt, not the salt for saltwater fish. it should be where the medication is at a pet store.