Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #11 
Alexandria

Update: Squishy is now spending his time sitting on his tail at the bottom and is nolonger gasping at the surface. He seems to be breathing rarher quickly as opposed to what I would consider normal. I am also wondering if part of the problem is diet. Could he be sick from eating only dried bloodworms?

Alexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #12 
Karebear13

I don't think its the bloodworms while that is not the best diet for a betta but I understand picky eaters. If you are going to feed him bloodworms I suggest the frozen ones better. Also I would lower the water level in case he is having a hard time coming to the surface. He seems stressed sometimes some quiet and dark time really helps them
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #13 
Alexandria

Another Update:

Squishy is no longer in a vertical position, he is now laying on the bottom sometimes a little on his side and his breathing is still laboured. What is this salt that people use as like a miracle cure?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #14 
Karebear13

aquarium salt. Im not too sure about doses though
Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #15 
Alexandria

I was reading the sticky for treatments and I am going to try doing a salt treatment at 1tsp per gallon for a few days. I will be starting it today sometime after I go buy some ^.^ Also, I am sorry for all the updates and questions, I just emotionally become distraught and I don't want to trigger my anxiety so I have been trying to get as much help as possible. My apologies if I have been annoying. <3 Thank you both for helping me :)
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #16 
Karebear13

Yeah 1 tsp is good. My advice to you is to get a jug on gallon so you can easily dissolve the salt in that jug and use the jug to do water changes. do you have a smaller tank you can put him in. My Benzema was sick once and what I did was use his small cup that I bought him in to treat him with aq salt. I got a one gallon jug and did water changes daily in his water cup. whatever you do dissolve the salt before you put treat him with it otherwise it could burn him
Old 10-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #17 
Alexandria

Just got back from buying the salts and other things to find that Squishy could not wait that long. R.I.P. Squishy
Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #18 
Karebear13

Im so sorry Alexandria... you did your best and Im sure he felt the love that you gave him he was a really pretty boy and at least he isn't suffering anymore
Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #19 
Alexandria

Thank you Karebear. I even got a moss ball and a new water treatment stuff that helps against ammonia that he says is better than Aquafina+Plus. I also found a heater for 1-3 gallon tanks that is specifically for Betta Fish. I am sad to see Squishy go but will be better prepared for our next betta.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #20 
Karebear13

That all sounds really good. What is the conditioner that you got? And what brand is the heater?

Tags
emergency, newbie, water conditioner