Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Urgent! White patch on side and fungus fins! pics incl.

Hey guys, so ive been posting off and on about Pho Phan my double tail halfmoon bettas tail and fins..wondering if it was fin rot or nipping...well im guessing it was fin rot and if im on the right track id say its advanced unless its something different. Yesterday AM his dorsal fin appeared to be melting away in strings and it looked like there was white fuzz specs on what was remaining. Now this AM he has a fairly good sized white patch on his rear right hand side but on his body...I cant tell for sure, it doesnt look fuzzy just white. Hes still active and eating. I would like to know what it is and how to treat it??

As of yesterday AM he has been in a hospital tank with almost a tablespoon of AQ salt, stress coat, heater and IAL.
He will be getting a 100% water change this afternoon.

My other big fear is if my other betta's will catch it! I have been careful but their tanks are side by side so when I do my water changes im positive water goes in the other tanks. As a precaution ive been adding a tiny bit of AQ salt to their tanks and my plakat will be switching tanks either today or tomorrow (to a 5 gal).

Please help me diagnose and treat Pho Phan! (and the other tanks if necessary)

The other meds asside from AQ salt that I have are premafix, melafix, coppersafe, maracyn oxy, parashield. I wouldnt dare use these until I found out from you guys if I should or not as I know meds can be harmful...but if im diagnosing and treating wrong id like to change what im doing ASAP before anything gets worse.

Before hospital tank
Housing (
What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes it was baffled
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? abubias/java

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega 1
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.0-8.2
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? loss of dorsal fin, white patch, maybe fungus?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? a bit lethargic but still curious and hungry
When did you start noticing the symptoms? If it turns out to be rot its been about 1 month if its something else, yesterday AM
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Hospital tank, 1.5 gal, tbsp AQ salt, 100% water change, stress coat, heat, IAL
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no he was perfect when I got him at the petstore!
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 yr +

Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #2 
Friendlyfishies

someones gotta know something about this? this guys one of my favs and my first betta in many years. He got me back into the swing of things ... *bump*
Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #3 
asukabetta

it looks to me like fin rot and fungus? Sometimes advanced fin rot, or the infection of such can lead to fungus, i suggest using the medicine adequate to treat fungus and rot, if it means 2 treatments, start with one, then the other and never mix.

I hope this helps a little
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #4 
Friendlyfishies

I just bought some jungle fungus fizz tabs too to add the supply list. Thanks asukabetta! I appreciate the response. U say dont do 2 treatments at once...but could I do AQ salt and one of the fungal meds or would that be condsidered 2 treatments?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

so ive been reading i perhaps should try the maracyn with the AQ salt? I dont have maracyn 2, I only have maracyn-oxy...it says on the box it treats bacteria/fungus/fin & tail rot and you should use half a cap full per 10 gallons. I think my bowl is only 1 - 2 gallons...im not sure if I should try it or if I should wait and see if the AQ salt does the trick? And if I do use it how much would I use? Good idea, bad idea? Should I wait?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
so ive been reading i perhaps should try the maracyn with the AQ salt? I dont have maracyn 2, I only have maracyn-oxy...it says on the box it treats bacteria/fungus/fin & tail rot and you should use half a cap full per 10 gallons. I think my bowl is only 1 - 2 gallons...im not sure if I should try it or if I should wait and see if the AQ salt does the trick? And if I do use it how much would I use? Good idea, bad idea? Should I wait?
Not sure, technically aq salt doesn't hinder, but I would lay off the salt, until done with medicine, i think mixing too many components (conditioner, aq salt and medicine) is a bad idea I think.

Try the medicine for the time recommended on the instructions, after the treatment then just use aq salt for 10 days. And keep water clean :D

Hope this helps!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #7 
Friendlyfishies

Thank you asukabetta...Good new is I held of on meds to try the AQ salt first...It seemed to stop the everything that was happening and now im just waiting to see if he starts healing. As far as the white patch I examined it closer today with a pair of magnifying glasses a family member has and a flashlight...it looks like dryskin around the scales? Again no fuzzies and the white spot hasnt grown? im still not sure what to think of it, im doubting fungus at this point but couldnt imagine what else it is unless he started getting body rot but the AQ stopped it before it progressed?? so puzzling these fish are! Still doesnt seem to be itchy but the spot looks more like an itch parasitic spot as the scales are just slightly raised in that spot. But then again if its minor body rot would the scales raise as the tissues may be dead?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #8 
Friendlyfishies

ooooh what about excess slime coat...could that be the white dryish looking patch???
Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #9 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
ooooh what about excess slime coat...could that be the white dryish looking patch???
it could be, but slime coat should be slimey not dry i think?... to have ick, did you ever feed your betta live blood worms or frozen... ?