Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #11 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Petco has their $1 per gallon sale going on, in store only though. So a 20 gallon would be $20. Can't really beat that.
Is this at every Petco??? aaaah, maybe I can get my 50 gallon now! I was gonna wait until I moved into my new house in a few weeks, but if I can get a 50 gallon tank at about half the price I've seen other places then I'm going to go for it!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #12 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
You should NEVER EVER replace your cartridges unless they are falling apart, but then you have to stuff the old media into the new media to keep your cycle. If you throw it out every month, it will just destroy your cycle.
I had to replace my cartridge after about 8 weeks because it was so gunky water was flowing over it and out of the overflow spout thing, then agitating the water too much and Fishie started biting his tail.
Someone on another forum advised me to stack it on top of a new one in the filter for a few weeks, then remove the old one and stack the newer one on top of another new cartridge so that next time that happens I'll only be removing half of the BB when I have to replace the cartridge. Luckily, it can juuuust fit the two of them on top of each other in the filter under the spout thing. It also helps baffle it for when I put Fishie back in. I also am still letting the old cartridge float in my tank for a little while longer to make sure the new cartridges get established.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 10-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #13 
candyman995

right i may have just managed to get a second hand 13 gallon tank for cheap thats in good nick. Im going to cycle it and plant it heavily so its perfect for the fish.

Is that big enough for what i have currently in my tank and what biomass do people think it could take for future expansions and fish stock?
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartridge, dirty water, filters