Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #11 
DragonFish

I'm really sorry to hear about all your trouble, I can completely understand all your frustration. 8/ I'd probably be beating my head against the wall if I were you myself...

Any particular reason why no decor though? Not even some live plants?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #12 
Hassled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
Today I got 4 what seem to be 2 gallon bowls. I have them heated with IAL's and thats all...no decor.
Having no decor to hide in may lead to tail/fin biting, then possibly lead to fin rot.
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #13 
sareena79

I fully support and understand your choice and wish u the best of luck...I hope u will reconsider having NO plants other than the IAL as they can be quite beneficial now that u will no longer have a filter or air stone. like I said earlier, my pothos is working out great in my 2gal unfiltered tank. it can be submerged (leaves and all) as long as u keep an eye out for decay and remove any leaves that look bad ASAP however I chose to just do the roots (they are rinsed during every water change, and trimmed once a month) and my betta LOVES to hang out in them. GOOD LUCK, keep us all posted....
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

While I have no issue with bowls, having nothing but some IAL and a heater doesn't sound like a very stimulating environment for your bettas long-term.

I would definitely recommend adding in some soft stem plants, as these are not going to cause damage to fins and along with providing your bettas with some mental stimulation, are going to help improve water quality.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #15 
Laki

I agree with all your decision, except the no decor. I hope you reconsider! You don't even need real plants (since heavily tanned water can affect their growth= photosynthesis and all) but some silky fake ones. Just something for your fish to do. I think mental stimulation is as important to getting better than is clean water. Just my opinion.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #16 
Shadyr

Gotta agree with others on the decor. I'd personally go stir crazy sitting in a bare white walled room.

Can't you simply remove the filter from your big tank if it's the source of your problems?
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #17 
Friendlyfishies

thanks everyone. No I cant unfortunately, its built in and the tank are too heavy with too many plugs attatched to carry them back and forth to perform the changes. I did end up getting them each a small live plant while they are in the hospital tanks, I dont think the plants will live long term as I dont have lights for the bowls but will help with ammonia for now. If they live and heal im going to end up getting 2.5 gals for them then I can put my LED bar over the top of all three for some light. Im just going to use the bowls for the hospital tanks for now. I cant believe filters would cause this much trouble...100% water changes daily will be tiring but gotta do what I gotta do. Thank you everyone! Its been so frustrating.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #18 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Gotta agree with others on the decor. I'd personally go stir crazy sitting in a bare white walled room.

Can't you simply remove the filter from your big tank if it's the source of your problems?
I agree 100%. At least silk plants to 'hide' in.

I am using a 5.5 gallon tank with silk plants for Sparkle. Had to remove filter...he aquired a stange flare-issue with dark-colored items after a month or so. I do a 50% gravel vaccum once a week. He is happy a a clam ... ooops....I mean Betta.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #19 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
thanks everyone. No I cant unfortunately, its built in and the tank are too heavy with too many plugs attatched to carry them back and forth to perform the changes.
Just trying to think of ways for you to not lose that investment...could you just unplug the filter and close the intake to make sure no one swims into it? Water changes - get a gravel vacuum and a bucket - you can suck out water and goop in volumes that you can easily carry in the bucket.

Whatever you do, you're doing your best for your fish, so best of luck and results.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #20 
Friendlyfishies

I'll probably end up trying to sell the evolves after I bleach them out and clean them. Ive been doing the bucket thing with a cup and using a turkey baster but its takes almost 1.5 hours to care for the 4 evolves and 2 guppies. Im afraid ive over whelmed myself entired by taking on too many fish at one time with all the other animals I have and work, but now that I have them im trying to do what I can for them :/ *shrugs* I thought it would be so easy!...bettas ive had in the past never had issues like these guys but then again I never had such big finned boys...I wish I had known how much care went into double tails and such, I woulda stuck with plakats or Vts et. This way I can carry the tanks to the sink dump the water refil, literally a 30 minute ordeal. I am trying to think of some kind of filter I could put in the 2.5's though...I really need something that has absolutely no flow/intake movement but will fit well in the tank. The plakat will have the 5 gal though, so hes actually upgrading which will be good for him. Hes so jumpy in the evolve tank and crashes into the walls...I heavily planted his with silk plants and he isnt bothered one bit by the filter but im still baffling it for him. Hope he likes it. Once the others are better ill move them to the 2.5 gals with their little anubias and java plants that are in their hospital tank and then I'll get them a terracotta pot. Maybe if I can get them some kind of no movement filter I could do 2 50% changes a week and 1 100%...but thats down the road. Im just hoping Pho Phan heals, hes worse off the No Nen...no nen just started with fin rot so im hoping I caught it in time...I figured out it was the filters because he was fine til I got him a filter then torn fins and rot began. I did have the intake covered with craft mesh and the outtake baffled with sponge, didnt help :(

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 10-10-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote