Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 
bettasaur

Talking Sand?

How many of y'all use sand in your tanks? I love the way the sand looks as opposed to gravel. The horrible brightly covered gravel reminds me of something a clown would puke up. I put some teal gravel in there, but I eventually want to switch it to sand. What kind of sand do y'all recommend?
Thanks!!!
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 
clopez1

I have gravel at the moment but planning a 20 long upgrade which will have sand..I am planning on using pool filter sand..Like 5 dollars for 50 lbs at Home Depot!
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #3 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by clopez1 View Post
I am planning on using pool filter sand..Like 5 dollars for 50 lbs at Home Depot!
Nice!! I wasn't sure if I HAD to use aquarium sand or not. I would love to get some white sand though. His colors would look amazing in front of that!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 
clopez1

Pool filter sand is innate..silica I think it's called..Works with fish tanks and cheap..Bigger grains and heavier than regular sand so not much kicking up and dust when you move stuff around...I hear it's a bright white.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #5 
clopez1

Can also use play sand for sand boxes but I hear that's a bit more of a pain and sometimes has more than just sand.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #6 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by clopez1 View Post
Can also use play sand for sand boxes but I hear that's a bit more of a pain and sometimes has more than just sand.
Yeah, the guy at my LFS told me to stay away from play sand. I'll probably see if I can get a deal on aquarium sand when I'm in there next. I go in there often enough!!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #7 
bettasaur

Actually, I just noticed that Home Depot sent me a coupon. Looks like I'm getting some pool filter sand! Haha
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #8 
clopez1

Very nice!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #9 
Maddybelle

All my tanks used to be barebottom, since I hate (!) gravel. I tried play sand once. My advice? RUN, don't walk, away from the play sand! It gets compacted and anaerobic within 2 days. I ended up stirring my sand 4x a day, and still ended up with black, nasty sand full of toxic gass bubbles!
Then, I found Petco sand. I'm switching all my tanks over to it: nice big grains, pretty colors, water ran clear with one rinse! (mine's black)
Pool filter sand would work, if you can find it. I couldn't, and it only comes in white. Also, has anyone had any issues with the pool filter sand being too sharp?
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #10 
MissLyss1024

I picked up a 50lb bag of Quickrete Fine Grade sand from Home Depot yesterday for my tanks ($5!!). It's not white but it's nice and natural looking. Only downfall so far is it was D.I.R.T.Y. I rinsed a few cups at a time and it took a while before the water was running clear. It's worth it, but make sure you rinse it really well!
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote