Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #31 
Sakura8

Anhel, yes, I have a high pH of about 7.8, although the water itself is ultra soft because it goes through a water softener. For the most part, a high pH is okay. Bettas will adjust to it. The only time a high pH might be a problem is with crowntails because the hard water makes the rays curl.

According to my fish profile book, the manmade betta splendens we keep tolerates waters that have from 5-25 degrees hardness and a pH from 6.0-8.0. However, the best hardness and pH is right around the middle, so 10-15 degrees hardness and about 7.5 pH.

This is important though: it's best not to mess with pH using chemicals. When you have to use pH uppers and downers, the pH starts to fluctuate greatly and it's ALWAYS better for a fish to be in a stable pH that is less than ideal than to be in a fluctuating one. Instead, the safest ways to lower pH and hardness are to use Indian Almond leaves in the water, driftwood, or a proprietary blackwater extract. However, if your kH is too low, your pH won't change much anyway.

In your case, Alexandria, your water parameters are fine but if you want to lower the pH I'd suggest a piece of driftwood. It will leach out tannins that will color the water tea-colored but the tannins and humic acids lower the hardness and thus the pH.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #32 
Alexandria

That is great! Thank you so much I can really work with that. :) I really appreciate your help and guidance :)
Alexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #33 
Sakura8

You're welcome. If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask or get Anhel to PM me. :)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #34 
Karebear13

whoops my bad I thought you got a master test kit. I bought one just recently for cycling purposes but its really nice to have so that you can test your parameters once in a while. It is pretty pricey but i think it is a lot cheaper on Amazon!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #35 
Sakura8

Let's hear it for amazon!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #36 
Alexandria

Lol ^.^ I <3 amazon
Alexandria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, newbie, water conditioner