Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #21 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
The goldfish in the LPS always pick pieces of gravel up and then spit them out.
all goldfish do that, they're sucking the bacteria, algae and any leftover food off the gravel pieces.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #22 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
The goldfish in the LPS always pick pieces of gravel up and then spit them out.
Mine did that, too. Part of their natural foraging behaviour. But I was worried that they would swallow the gravel while trying to swallow something else like a snail. Now with sand, if they do swallow something, it will pass right through without a problem.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

Mine are in my bedroom so some nights all I can hear is them spitting gravel out. I sometimes will put clumps of blackworms in their tanks and they go crazy trying to get them out of the gravel.

Before that, I had to take away their hang on glass thermometer as they were obsessed with it. I'd wake up to them pushing it against the side of the tank and trying to fit the end in their mouths.

All my goldfish do is eat and poo and give me 'starving goldfish sad faces' through the glass.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
All my goldfish do is eat and poo and give me 'starving goldfish sad faces' through the glass.
Isn't it AWESOME?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

Haha my goldfish only get to stay because my dad would not treat them properly, and they are great at providing me with lots of established filter media.

My three seem to think they have far better things to do like sifting through gravel and mauling the hornwort to come over and see what I'm doing. Usually only if they see me walking up to them with their fish food container can I get their attention. Then you would think I was a God walking amongst them.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #26 
thekoimaiden

My little (HA!) guys are very interactive. The tank sits in my room, but is right next to the door. They spot people coming down the hallway and bunch up at the end... hoping for food. They will also follow me around the room which makes doing laundry a bit more fun.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #27 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Mine did that, too. Part of their natural foraging behaviour. But I was worried that they would swallow the gravel while trying to swallow something else like a snail. Now with sand, if they do swallow something, it will pass right through without a problem.
i had always thought that sand was bad for goldfish since it could lead to impacted bowels....huh.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #28 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
i had always thought that sand was bad for goldfish since it could lead to impacted bowels....huh.
Only if you are overfeeding. I've never heard of sand causing impacted bowels in goldfish. With normal digestion it'll go in and out with the rest of the food. The only thing hurt by the sand can be the filters. HOBs have a large problem as the impeller is in the bottom where the sand settles.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #29 
Jupiter

I was never really into goldfish until I got one last year...they're actually really cute and charming.

Unfortunately, Lucien is no longer with me b/c of a bad accident (I had his tank under my dad's tank and both shattered, so...yeah :( )

My dad was thinking of closing our pool down and turning the space into a pond though, and of course I'm 100% into it now lol. I really hope we can do it in the future, but I'll probably end up buying a goldfish in the future regardless once I have the space for one.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #30 
thekoimaiden

I've seen some really neat pools converted into ponds! That's an awesome idea! It might even be large enough for koi, too. Try to see if you can find some pond builders in your area. It really makes a difference between a hole in the ground with fish and a water garden.

I also wanted to share this that I found earlier this week: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=5291

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 10-11-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: adding stuff