Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #1 
Rocky12

Questions about Prime and new tank!

Hello, we brought home our first Betta the other day and are changing a few things up. First off, he started off in a 1.5 gallon bowl filled with SPRING WATER. We will be changing him tomorrow to:
PETCO BRAND - PET KEEPERS
==========================
LARGE 14.5" L X 8.75" W X 9.75" H ------------------------- 3.3 U.S. gallons

^ That's his new tank :)

We'll be using TAP WATER instead now, using Prime for conditioning. My question with this is, how much Prime do I put in? I've heard something like 2 drops a gallon, but its not like an eye dropper, do I just eye ball it?

My other thing is a heater. I have full intentions of setting this tank up with a small heater to keep him healthy and comfortable, especially at night, as he will be in the dark(is this okay?). However, obviously a heater works when the water gets below temp, it kicks on. But, does it work the other way? Like, if the water gets too hot will it cool it down? Or does it do a constant, heat up, drop a degree, heat up, drop a degree, heat again. Keeping the temp constant for the most part?

Also, for a the 3.3 gallon tank I want to get a filter for the fish. Can anybody recommend one (preferably from Petco). I know it needs to be very low water flow. And, since the tank has no filter or anything, do the filters just hook onto the side or side in the tank and plug into the wall?

Thanks for all the advice!
Rocky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

your best friend for dosing^

I highly recommend amazon...
The azoo mignon 60 should be perfect for the betta fish.

next, heater. I recommend hagen elite 25w ($10)

these two together should be close to $25(free prime shipping)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #3 
Rocky12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post

your best friend for dosing^

I highly recommend amazon...
The azoo mignon 60 should be perfect for the betta fish.

next, heater. I recommend hagen elite 25w ($10)

these two together should be close to $25(free prime shipping)

So for the, lets say 3 gallon tank, how many mL's should I put in when I change the water?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky12 View Post
So for the, lets say 3 gallon tank, how many mL's should I put in when I change the water?
6 drops
about 1/3 ml
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #5 
Rocky12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
6 drops
about 1/3 ml
Where did you find one of those syringes? Thank you for the help :) also, I hate Amazon because they won't let you use PayPal :P
Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #6 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky12 View Post
Where did you find one of those syringes? Thank you for the help :) also, I hate Amazon because they won't let you use PayPal :P
You can get them at the pharmacy at Walgreens.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #7 
shellieca

Remember you cannot overdose Prime so if you dose a little more than is needed it won't hurt your fish. Just wanted to throw that out there so you don't stress about being exact.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #8 
sunlight

for 3 gall i am really recommending to do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. Or you can do 100% water changes every 5 -6 days. And if you will do that way, you do't really need filter. And if you still have filter make sure you wash filter media regularly. And if you still have a filter make sure it not too strong for your betta. I have betta sucked in the tube before.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #9 
sunstar93

Before I got a 10 gallon tank i had a 3 gallon tank. The best heater I found for it (IMO) was the Marina Betta Mini Heater from Petsmart. It kept the tank at 78 degrees the whole time I had it. Now I have the Tetra 2-15 heater, which kicks on whenever the temp falls below 78 (I was going to get it for my 3 gallon but I was afraid of it overheating). Hope this helps! (:
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote