Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #1 
Rocky12

Talking How to make the change from spring water to tap?

We brought home our first Betta in a 1.5 gallon bowl filled with spring water. However, we're moving him to a 3.3 gallon critter keeper that we want to fill with tap water using Prime of course. My question is though, can the change be done with no problems? Should I fill the tank a little, let him get used to it, then add more, etc?

Thanks for the help!
Rocky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #2 
sunlight

I saw your last post. So you have prime. So you need to use 6 drops per 3 gallons, which is 2 drops per gall. You have 3.3 gall so just eye ball it . Don't worry it better to put a little bit more than less. So it about 7-8 drops is fine.
I like to use aged water . I have 4 bettas at home and 1 betta at work. So i have gallons at home and i put prime and let water sit for 24 hrs. The reason i do that because it easier for me to keep water the same temperature as their water. And if your room temp colder then you just add warmer water.

When you change your betta new water temperature should be inappropriately as his water. So i would recommend to have a thermometer . I have those stripes thermometers on the outside of the tank. So when i pour new water in the tank i see the temp to make sure it approx the same.

Have him in his changing cup(the one you brought him from the store) with a little bit of his original water. Keep adding new water in his cup (about 15%) and let him sit in it for about 5 min. Repeat for about 3 times this way you acclimating him to new chemistry/temperature
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #3 
sunlight

also do 50% water change first. Since he was in the spring water i would do 50% today so you don't shock him with to drastic chemistry change . For 3 gall you can do 1-50% and 1-100% water change a week or you can do what i do 100% every 5-6 days. So do 50% first and then you can do 100% with acclimation.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 
Rocky12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
also do 50% water change first. Since he was in the spring water i would do 50% today so you don't shock him with to drastic chemistry change . For 3 gall you can do 1-50% and 1-100% water change a week or you can do what i do 100% every 5-6 days. So do 50% first and then you can do 100% with acclimation.
Thank you SO much for the info :) I will do as you said and make it the best for the little guy. Ill be posting a fully updated thread when he's into his new home :)
Thanks again!
Rocky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 
sunlight

Be aware bettas are good jumpers so be careful if you live him along while he is in his changing cup. Put the lid on. Also leave the space between the top of the tank and water level. And i also wrote about filter in you other post i would like you to see it.

Will wait for update.