Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #1 
Skylarx13

Red gills?

Hello!! I'm new to owning a Betta but I've done my research and such since I've had mine so I've been fine on my own for a couple months now but now something weird is going on with my female. My female is kept in a community tank with African dwarf frogs, guppies, dojo loaches, a catfish, and a sucker fish. I have a 20g with live plants, sand, and a filter. I use regular tap water no heater and I don't add anything to the tank. The other day I noticed my female had a couple scales missing what looked like from another fish so I thought she could be sick if someone is picking on her so I took her out and put her in her own glass bowl so I could keep my eye on her. Since she's been on her own she acts 100% normal. Bubble nests, fanned fins, eating, swimming around and around but nothing crazy but then I looked closely at her gills and I noticed they looked red. But they don't seem swollen (not that I can tell but I'm also inexperienced with sick fish) and since she's not acting weird at all Im having an awful time diagnosing and I'm worried she has something....because if she does I want to treat it right away. So I took some pictures and thought maybe this forum could help me out. So please please help me figure out what's going on with this girl so she can go back with her tank mates.

Oh and she also has a live black worm diet as well as regular water changes. About 10% every other week and about %30 once a month. Oh and if you're wondering why I'm talking like I may have another Betta it's because I do. But he's by himself in a 2.5g healthy as ever. ((: thanks for any advice, info, and tips!!!

Sky

Oh and if anyone knows how I can post the pics from my iPhone that also be helpful!! I can't figure it out. :(
Skylarx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #2 
Skylarx13

http://s1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag78/lawniczakx13/

Try this link for pics, let me know if it works!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

It sounds like the water isn't being changed often enough or enough in general for your community tank. From what you've listed, you've got quite a few fish in there producing ammonia, and even though you have live plants and a filter, your water change schedule probably isn't enough to combat the ammonia.

Another thing, you say you aren't adding anything to your tank. Do you mean that you aren't using a water conditioner either? Tap water has chlorine and metals in it that make it unsafe for fish right off the bat, thus making a water conditioner very important to remove those substances.

High ammonia and chlorine/metals in the water explain all of her symptoms as well as her possibly being stressed with the amount of company she has. It might be best to keep her on her own or invest in a larger tank for your community and more plants as well.

For a treatment, I suggest keeping her solitary with 100% daily changes and water conditioner (Prime is a wonderful brand, but Tetra Aquasafe is cheap and works well enough too).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #4 
Skylarx13

Last edited by Skylarx13; 10-11-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

She looks a bit eggy which isn't anything worrying for a female, but the markings on her gill plates are very much indicative of high ammonia levels or other harsh substances in the water.

I highly recommend the use of a water conditioner from now on.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 
Skylarx13

Yea I was thinking about putting her by herself too, most of my fish are little guys because they're still young but I plan on upgrading to a 50 or 100g after I move in November so I definitely don't plan on having my 20g for too long. I will also up my water changes and look for a conditioner. A man at the store who helped me get my first tank set up explained that a lot of water extras are just for marketing purposes and assured me plain tap water is the best thing to use, since I'm kind of an organic freak I figured less extras are better but that is true what you say about chlorine and metals so what's the safest brand of water conditioner available?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

Prime is one of the best ones. The bottle may seem small, but you son't need to use a lot of it.

Another additive that is helpful and can be used as a conditioner is stress coat. Kordan brand is one of the best for that. Stress coat isn't necessary, but it adds some soothing aloe to the water for any cuts and promotes a thick clime coat which is good.

You could also let your water sit for 24 hours before use, but I've never had any experience with is so I can't help you too much with that. My water is very hard and runs through old pipes so I get metals and such that requires a bit more attention before adding to the tank than just letting it sit.

There are a few additives that are completely unnecessary, but a good conditioner isn't one of the list.