Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Exclamation Must resist... getting betta?

There is store that has beautiful betta shipped in every week, however the less prettier ones always remain for days, and eventually their tails break apart through rot or biting...

I just have this urge to save them all! Especially this halfmoon betta that now looks like a plakat because of it's tail bitting :/

Thing is all I have is my old fish bowl to accomodate him 2,5 gallon bowl, and would just need a heater and some decoration. I think it would be unfair to have my other betta in a tank and this one in a bowl, and I would have to wait a bit till I can afford another tank,

Another issue is travelling, I travel often, mostly on xmas (for long periods and I have a fish sitter but dunno if she would take care of more)

And I am moving to the states in 2 years, and transporting the bettas over might be an issue...

Please tell me if I should save it, because everyday I look at it, it seems weaker and weaker, and i bet they throw it out when it's low on health...
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Ugh, Petstores.....some of them can be okay, but most of them....Sigh. Its just so atrocious how bettas are treated, just plain sickening. I really hope one day this can be changed....
I can certainly understand how you feel. If I could, I would certainly take ALL the bettas home with me....xD

Anyway....about your predicament...
If your bowl holds 2-2.5 gallons....thats a perfectly fine size. No need to feel guilty about that so long as you heat it and preform the proper water changes. ;)

But yes, you do have to think about your situation....do you have time/funds for another fish, possibly a rescue that will initially require more attentive care/water changes and possibly medication?

You could always talk to your fish sitter, tell her you want to save this one fish, and ask if she would be willing to care for another while you go away. Actually, that may be a good way to decide.....if she says she wouldn't be willing, then its probably best not to go back for the guy. Though if she is willing to take care of another fish, then you can think about the other factors like time and funds and whatnot.

I'm not sure about transferring fish between countries....you'd probably have to look into finding a way to ship them.
But that is also 2 years away....so you've at least got two years with this new rescue if you get him and are able to nurse him back to health.

If it were me......I would probably save it. But I wouldn't buy it. Instead, talk to the manager, ask for at least a discounted price or even for free. If they refuse...make fuss about their terrible conditions and walk away.
Also, reguardless of if you get this guy or not.....it probably wouldn't hurt to talk to the manager, share your concerns about the care of the bettas and see if he or she will listen. Sometimes they don't care, but sometimes they do. If that doesn't do any good.....if you're bold enough too, every time you go in there you could pull forward the sick betta cups and make comments about how sad they look.....maybe the store will eventually get the hint and start taking at least a little better care of them.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Ugh, Petstores.....some of them can be okay, but most of them....Sigh. Its just so atrocious how bettas are treated, just plain sickening. I really hope one day this can be changed....
I can certainly understand how you feel. If I could, I would certainly take ALL the bettas home with me....xD

Anyway....about your predicament...
If your bowl holds 2-2.5 gallons....thats a perfectly fine size. No need to feel guilty about that so long as you heat it and preform the proper water changes. ;)

But yes, you do have to think about your situation....do you have time/funds for another fish, possibly a rescue that will initially require more attentive care/water changes and possibly medication?

You could always talk to your fish sitter, tell her you want to save this one fish, and ask if she would be willing to care for another while you go away. Actually, that may be a good way to decide.....if she says she wouldn't be willing, then its probably best not to go back for the guy. Though if she is willing to take care of another fish, then you can think about the other factors like time and funds and whatnot.

I'm not sure about transferring fish between countries....you'd probably have to look into finding a way to ship them.
But that is also 2 years away....so you've at least got two years with this new rescue if you get him and are able to nurse him back to health.

If it were me......I would probably save it. But I wouldn't buy it. Instead, talk to the manager, ask for at least a discounted price or even for free. If they refuse...make fuss about their terrible conditions and walk away.
Also, reguardless of if you get this guy or not.....it probably wouldn't hurt to talk to the manager, share your concerns about the care of the bettas and see if he or she will listen. Sometimes they don't care, but sometimes they do. If that doesn't do any good.....if you're bold enough too, every time you go in there you could pull forward the sick betta cups and make comments about how sad they look.....maybe the store will eventually get the hint and start taking at least a little better care of them.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
I'm going to try to get the discounted price and see if i can get it to nurse it up, I really wish to save it, so far my fish sitter said yes, but she does have a lot of animals to take care of so she sounded a bit... reluctant.

I'm heading over to talk to the owner, see what I can do, and what will happen. D:< here i come betta! Imma pamper you so much you gonna hate me if you get into my hands D:<

I have a first aid kit for fin rot, fungus, aq salt etc so I'm ready, it's all about this now XD
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Sounds good to me.....best of luck! And be sure to post pictures if you can! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #5 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Sounds good to me.....best of luck! And be sure to post pictures if you can! :)
:/ today they closed early ill have to try tom!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Honestly, if I were sitting someones fish, one extra betta is not a lot of work. I have a house full of pets, and I babysit often for others... mostly pet rats. That's a huge cage with 3 poop machines lol I will warn you though, if you save that one.. it doesn't stop there. There will be another one after him that will pull at your heart strings. I went from just one betta to having many over the last year. I currently have 10 boys and 5 girls... all rescues :) I swore no more, then I took home another poor male who's owner could not take care of him. It doesn't end ;) But if you can do it, do it :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Honestly, if I were sitting someones fish, one extra betta is not a lot of work. I have a house full of pets, and I babysit often for others... mostly pet rats. That's a huge cage with 3 poop machines lol I will warn you though, if you save that one.. it doesn't stop there. There will be another one after him that will pull at your heart strings. I went from just one betta to having many over the last year. I currently have 10 boys and 5 girls... all rescues :) I swore no more, then I took home another poor male who's owner could not take care of him. It doesn't end ;) But if you can do it, do it :)
Actually, they opened a bit later, they went for a coffee break, the halfmoon betta was gone though, they say they sold it but the condition it was in it probably died... ):

All their injured, old fish was mysteriously gone and replace by newer shipments... so I gues... they murdered them all...

Except one which I recognized from last week, he was starting to become sickly and depreseed so i saved him :D

have no idea what to call him so suggestions are welcome!