Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #1 
Surferjo

Question about importing a Betta from Thailand

Normally when i pick up a fish from Petco i place the container in the tank to transition the temp for 20 mns than do a slow teaspoon at a time water acclimation. Should i being doing anything different for an imported fish? Is there water drastically different from ours in any way?
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #2 
NVGail228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
Normally when i pick up a fish from Petco i place the container in the tank to transition the temp for 20 mns than do a slow teaspoon at a time water acclimation. Should i being doing anything different for an imported fish? Is there water drastically different from ours in any way?
I've bought many fish from Thai sellers and have done pretty much the same as what you (and I) do for fish from Petco. One thing that is pretty constant with any betta I've got from Thailand is that they don't recognize pellets as food. If they refuse them (even after having a couple of days to settle in) I try two things...Try one...fast them for 2-3 days and then see if they are hungry enough to try them. Try two....switch to betta flake style food. Even freeze-dried blood worms are a new experience for Thai betta but I've discovered that once they try a nibble most of them are crazy for it. Good luck. Two of my four guys are from Thailand this time (around 6 years ago I had many more betta with 35-40 of them from Thailand) and all of them accept pellet food although with one I have to poke at it until it sinks as he refuses to eat from the surface, likes chasing the food as it sinks and will even pick it up from the gravel. I'm feeding Biogold right now with Tetra freeze-dried bloodworms once a week. Because a couple of my guys seem to like very small pellets I also plan to start feeding NLS small fish which I've also heard tends to sink. When I can get to a Petco I hope to make their day by getting some frozen bloodworms and everyone will be happy.
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #3 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
I try to keep the light dim as they have been in the dark for awhile. The PH may be very different from your water but best not to mess with it with chemicals imo as the fish will adjust to the new PH. Just acclimate slowly as you already are doing and do not be surprised if they are less bright in colors than you saw in photos. In a few days the colors will return.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #4 
Surferjo

Thanks for the advice. I dont have any flakes but ill pick some up today. Im going to be placing him in this tank. Ill keep the light off for while but do you think i should also keep the filter off to keep his stress level down?

Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 
NVGail228

About the filter....I had it on from the beginning but make sure it has a very light flow. If he seems unhappy I'd just leave it off and change water more often. All four of my guys don't seem to mind a very baffled filter although I have to it turn off when I feed or I get to watch a betta trying like the devil to catch up to his food. LOL
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote