Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 
revolutionrocknroll

My fish is losing color and also looks like Two Face

Hey guys! I've been gone for awhile. I don't even know if anyone remembers me xD But I've been busy with college, my new exchange student, my band, work, and SA/AS therapy. So I've kind of been on hiatus, but my fishy, Techno has gotten sick... again :/
Any suggestions?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None (live Java fern and moss ball though)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Small pinch (3-6 pellets) twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week (though about 3 times lately)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Had popeye about 3 months ago, recovered quickly with frequent water changes and Aquarium salt. After the popeye it looked like white stuff started coming out of his face near the eye and now it looks like the skin/scales have come off and there's a big patch of bone or white stuff on one side of his face. He's pretty thin and has lost color. He seems to have either started tail biting again or had some minor fin rot.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A bit more lethargic, hanging out at the top. No bubble nests or swimming around. He'll get better some days and start interacting with me, swimming, and his color will brighten, but then he'll start getting sick again.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Popeye was about 3 months ago, they started after that but he seems to have become really affected recently.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Frequent water changes (about every other day with popeye, and now 3 times a week. When he's looking bad I'll put in a very small amount of aquarium salt after I change the water. I also tried API General cure because I thought maybe a parasite could have had something to do with it, and I was reading a book about tropical fish and there was a picture of a fish with "Hole in the head disease" that looked a bit like my fish and general cure is supposed to treat that. I also used API stress coat to help him out a bit for a couple of months but then I ran out (it was a small container) so now I'm using Prime.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? This is the first fish I learned how to take care of properly (in regards to tank size, water changes, and heating) and of course he happens to be the one who's always getting injured or sick. Popeye, tail biting, he has scratched himself getting stuck behind the filter (I took the filter out after), and now this has been going on the past few months.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him about a year ago, so maybe 1.5 years? An adult, but still pretty young for a betta.

Any suggestions?
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #2 
celtickitty

well what I know is like most fish the older the fish gets his or her colors do change . it all so sounds like your fish is sad, get him a buddy a new friend. there r loads of fish out there that can go well with bettas
celtickitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #3 
vilmarisv

Being in a 2.5 galon would be a BAD idea to get him a "buddy".
Can you post a pic?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #4 
revolutionrocknroll

He's not sad, he's sick. He was a vivid red betta, and his color is faded from disease and stress. I might be able to post a picture. But I went home for the weekend (he's at my dorm at college) and he was looking really bad yesterday. I don't think he made it, but hopefully I'm wrong :(
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #5 
celtickitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionrocknroll View Post
He's not sad, he's sick. He was a vivid red betta, and his color is faded from disease and stress. I might be able to post a picture. But I went home for the weekend (he's at my dorm at college) and he was looking really bad yesterday. I don't think he made it, but hopefully I'm wrong :(
I hope he dose as well, my roommate had a somewhat issue with hers, but hers was by the window happy and a live until someone told her to move them from the window and when she did they pass away.
The fish I had who change color where either old or depress.
mayb you should get him a bigger tank
celtickitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 
revolutionrocknroll

He has dropsy now. He'll be dead within the week. :(
My question now is:
Is it possible to disinfect the tank, heater, decorations, etc to use for other fish, or should I just get rid of them? And if I can reuse them, what should I use to clean them?