Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #1 
bettasaur

Arrow Chow time!

I'm really interested to see what y'all are feeding your betta! So, what do you feed your betta? What is their favorite treat & how often do they get it? Are there any "unusual" treats you give your betta?

Daily food-I feed Betta Bio Gold pellets by Hikari. Treats-He gets a Top Fin freeze dried bloodworm once every other day. He'll jump to get them out of my fingers if I hold them over the water.
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 
toad

My guys get Omega One pellets, and a meal of frozen brine shrimp or blood worms, each once a week. Once in a while, I'll give them freeze dried blood worms as a treat. I'm really thinking about starting a daphnia culture for them as well :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
My guys get Omega One pellets, and a meal of frozen brine shrimp or blood worms, each once a week. Once in a while, I'll give them freeze dried blood worms as a treat. I'm really thinking about starting a daphnia culture for them as well :)
Awesome! I'm hopefully getting some live brine shrimp from my LFS tomorrow. I can't wait to watch him hunt them down! :)
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 
LizzyP

I feed my two boys Omega One about 6 pellets per day (3 in the morning 3 at night). They both love them and never had any problems with them getting bloated since the pellets are small and all the same size. Then every once in a while they get a SMALL piece of shrimp. I got a can of shrimp by Omega One from Petsmart, but the shrimp are much too large. So I break them into 1/4th and each get a piece and that is their meal for the entire day. About 2 times per week they get freeze dried bloodworms around 5pm when I get home from school.

Now, keep in mind this is what works for MY bettas. Both of my guys are very active and need to be fed a little more than what people would think to be "normal". They might be fed a lot during the week, but they get MAYBE one small meal on Saturday and completely fasted on Sundays.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 
fleetfish

Their staple diet is a mix of Omega One and NLS pellets, supplimented with frozen bloodworms, white worms, brine shrimp, and daphnia up to four days a week and fast usually two days per week. I give them four pellets per meal and a wad of frozen - as much as can fit on the end of a toothpick - and they're pretty happy with it. If I can catch them and they're in season, I do like to also feed them fruitflies. I had a colony a few months ago but they mysteriously disappeared. Mosquitos are good too but none with blood inside of them *yuck*.

Last edited by fleetfish; 10-11-2012 at 08:14 PM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #6 
JerryBerrie

I usually feed my babies the betta pellets as normal food, Pearly is on a Bloodworm diet since he's so small, takes him forever to attempt to eat a pellet. But the treats are Freeze Dried Bloodworms from Tetra. Sometimes my oldest boy trys eating the sinking wafers for the catfish, the wafers are from Hikari.
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
sainthogan

My girl can't stand pellets and would rather go hungry than eat them. So she eats Nutrafin Max flakes daily and gets a few blood worms once a week. She also gets the occasional fruit fly as I catch them. She LOVES, LOVES, LOVES fruit flies! :)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #8 
JerryBerrie

Sainthogan thats a good idea feeding them fruit flies, i should try that, I bet my boy will like that :)
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #9 
bettasaur

These are all such awesome responses! What is daphnia? :)
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

mine gets nls small fish formula, borneo wild staple M, HBH super soft krill, FD blood worms. mosquito larvae (in summer), baby snails(hunts them down and crunches on), and seed shrimps(when i feel extra generous)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote