Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #31 
Blacklight

Question. If I go with a 5 gallon critter keeper, would that require me to get a filter? Do filters fit on those things?
It's looking like I can do 2 5 gallon critter keepers with cheap heaters for about $65 (which is still probably going to be too much money for her, but I'm REALLY trying).
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #32 
ao
TFK Moderator

You can probably go cheaper.
get a 5 gallon and divide it. you will need a binder and craft mesh.
Yes get a filter, that way your tabk can cycle and you can get away with less water changes.

A larger kritter keeper at petco is around $15 (max)
hagen elite 25w heater off amazon is $10.
Azoo mignon 60 filter - $13

that's $38 so far.

Divider material is about $5

You might also need water conditioner, petco sells API water conditioner in small bottles. 2 drops/ gallon (very economical) $4

Fish food. you can get Hikari biogold right now to save on cash. $3

Decorations ... look in the local 99c store for some candle holders. they make great hidey holes.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #33 
Blacklight

The problem with dividing it is that one Betta is male and the other is a female. I've been told that having them in the same tank, even with a divider is a bad idea because his hormones will agitate the female.

If this isn't true, I would have just got a single 10 gallon starter kit and a divider. It would save me so much money.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-12-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #34 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
The problem with dividing it is that one Betta is male and the other is a female. I've been told that having them in the same tank, even with a divider is a bad idea because his hormones will agitate the female.
I think there's divide opinion on this. But it might be better to be on the safe side....
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #35 
Blacklight

If it's okay to have the male and female in the same tank with a divider, it will totally save me.
I'm looking all over, but I can't find much info on having a male/female in a divided tank. Everyone usually has males.

We just don't want them getting together and fighting or having kids or the female getting all eggy and sick.
And with a divided tank, do you need two filters, one for each side as I would imagine the screen would block the water flow? I've never had a divided tank.

If only she had bought two males or two females and not one of each.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-12-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #36 
ao
TFK Moderator

the mesh divider will allow water flow. if you position the HOB with the intake on one side and outlet on the other side, a good flow will be established on both sides.

You can do DIY lids for those kritter keepers, i find the ones that comes with them rather hideous...

pm oldfishlady about the female male thing. her experience is most trusted on the forum. starting a thread will just confuse you with the opinions from both sides.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #37 
Blacklight

Are there covers that will keep the bettas from jumping from the tank or over the divider also? I hear these guys can jump pretty high and aim REALLY well.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #38 
DragonFish

Goodness a bit happened while I was sleeping.....

I was the one who said females and males in a divided tank were not a good idea. HOWEVER it can be done with proper filtration and a crapton of live plants as well as diligent water changes to help filter out the hormones the male will produce. I do believe there was a whole big discussion on this a while back...
In an artificially planted, and possibly unfiltered, tank.....personally, I don't think its a very good idea.

If you're going with the Kritter Keeper, no, you don't absolutely have to have a filter. You'll have to preform 100% water changes, but you can get away without a filter just fine.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #39 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
In an artificially planted, and possibly unfiltered, tank.....personally, I don't think its a very good idea
I want to test this theory...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #40 
DragonFish

With the 'better safe then sorry' mentality that I have, thats just my personal opinion. I remember half-stocking that thread because it was something very interesting I hadn't heard of before, no one had ever mentioned these hormones with male and female divided tanks that I could recall and yet all of a sudden it kept popping up all over the forum. If I recall right, there was a whole big thread where a few moments, a couple very very experienced, debated and shared their experiences and whatnot......and I thought that in the end it was decided that a lot of live plants and good filtration was needed if one wanted to keep males and females in the same water because of hormones and whatnot.

I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy and overly-cautious then.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote