Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #41 
Sena Hansler

Yes better safe than sorry. Anyone who wants to "test" theories that could cause stress sickness or death upon an animal should think twice. I upgraded my BFs sisters fish's tank from 0.5 gallons to 1.5 gallons. IT DOES NOT TAKE UP MUCH ROOM. Bowls actually take up MORE room because of the awkward shape. Walmart sells a variety of tanks, some are the 3 gallon half moons, squares, etc which take up little room at all. :). We took in her old tank to compare, keeping space in mind and found a tank that worked (btw the fish is more active and brighter colours popped up). If space is an issue one should avoid pets in general - but you now have two fishes, and it is t that bad to make a solution!!

I avoid male and female divided. I only have female and female, and male and male divided. That being said, 2.5-3 gallons minimal for something that you can heat... A 10 gallon COULD work if you allow filtration and some hardy plants such as java fern and moss, moss balls, sword, cambomba (more medium to high lighting for cambomba). Use fabric plants, and silk plants as well as one or more buddy holes for both sides. Clean appropriately and you won't have too much of a problem. I make sure the water level is low to avoid jumpers and yes you can fashion a cover to avoid high jumpers.

Good luck!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #42 
DragonFish

OH, and just something I keep forgetting to add...xD I shouldn't post things before I have my tea....

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
^DIY craft mesh divider tutorial if you go that route. To make it a little more stable though, I'd suggest trimming it a tad so it fits snugly without bending too much and doubling up on the craft mesh in one divider, or if you get the 10 gallon a lot of people make two dividers and stick the filter and heater in the middle, I've heard this works very well to help keep them from jumping onto the others side(though I suppose if they're determined they'll jump both dividers, but hopefully you can catch them in the middle before that)and for even heat distribution.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #43 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Yes better safe than sorry. Anyone who wants to "test" theories that could cause stress sickness or death upon an animal should think twice.
There's been so much talk about this, and people who've kept them together with no problems. OFL keeps her males and females together in one large tank...
ofcourse I'll pull the fish if they dont do well. I wont just sit there and watch them die, but I think too many people are kicking up a fuss without enough evidence.

just like using table salt instead of Aq salt, the fact that iodized salt is bad for fish and will cause death turned out to be pure speculation.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #44 
DragonFish

I think its also important to remember that OFL is a very VERY experienced keeper and breeder and the tanks she keeps these fish in are large NPTs......
Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #45 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
I think its also important to remember that OFL is a very VERY experienced keeper and breeder and the tanks she keeps these fish in are large NPTs......
true, but it doesnt say anything about not keeping a female and a male together. The fact that she is keeping them together makes the possibility available.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #46 
Blacklight

I was actually considering two dividers with the filter and heater in the middle actually. I think a setup like that would pretty much give equal water filtration as well as serve as a buffer zone if one of these two got determined and jumpy.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #47 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
I was actually considering two dividers with the filter and heater in the middle actually. I think a setup like that would pretty much give equal water filtration as well as serve as a buffer zone if one of these two got determined and jumpy.
I think the greater betta community here still advises against putting the male and the female together...
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #48 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
true, but it doesnt say anything about not keeping a female and a male together. The fact that she is keeping them together makes the possibility available.
I also never said it wasn't possible, and neither did Sena by the way....I do believe actually in several of my posts I say that in a tank with good filtration, live plants, and diligent water changes it is possible. Sena also said that it could work as well.....with live plants, good filtration, and proper water changes.

But in a tank with artificial plants and no filtration...it isn't the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
I've heard fantastic things about this sort of setup....if I didn't have my divided tanks already all set up, I would probably do this myself. xD
Best of luck!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #49 
Sena Hansler

That actually is a good idea considering if anyone breaches a divider it won't matter it'll be a trial and error thing - but you can make it work if you are willing to put some effort in of course.

And exactly I never said impossible.. It is, but you MUST be cautious and think to yourself: is it best for the fish, or for you? I work towards the fish more than myself... Say if I liked a set up but my fish were stressed I would change said set up... Fish's needs before personal enlightenment (if that is the right word lol ;) )
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #50 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol, Id say its best for future fish keepers and their fish, so they can work with solid evidence that their fish might or might not be safe with a certain setup :)

and I didnt mean that you meant it was impossible either :D