Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #1 
sincerelyanna

Baby Betta Bent Spine

So I had purchased a baby betta from petco, I just felt too bad for them D:

but it turns out poor little thing has a bent spine and can hardly swim.
Because of this, I have to keep him in a small bowl just so he can get to the top to breath and eat. :(
He has a heater, etc. It's all set up.
Any tips? Will he even make it?

Well, I also wanted a healthy baby betta. So I went back and purchased another one.
So far it looks like a male, unsure of tail type. He just grew in some colors and so far he has light purple and salmon colors. I'm so excited! I can't wait to see what he grows into. Name suggestions? He might be a delta tail.
sincerelyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I had a female that had a physical problem & she did amazingly well. I lost her a few weeks back due to an unrelated Problem. She was in a 10g & learned to swim from plant to plant & had no problem eating. I think I made the mistake when I put her into the 46g, it was just too big for her, had i kept her in the 10g she probably would've lived longer, i had her about a year. In any case, if your little one is eating well & otherwise healthy he will probably improve & figure out how to get around. If you provide him with something close to the surface to rest on he can probably go into a bigger tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 
sincerelyanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I had a female that had a physical problem & she did amazingly well. I lost her a few weeks back due to an unrelated Problem. She was in a 10g & learned to swim from plant to plant & had no problem eating. I think I made the mistake when I put her into the 46g, it was just too big for her, had i kept her in the 10g she probably would've lived longer, i had her about a year. In any case, if your little one is eating well & otherwise healthy he will probably improve & figure out how to get around. If you provide him with something close to the surface to rest on he can probably go into a bigger tank.
I had a leaf hammock at the top for him, but he still just laid in the rocks at the bottom, swimming slowly.
He is healthy, it seems. He is eating, even chasing after little brine shrimp and bloodworms! :)
He is showing a sky blue tint in his fins.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

He might surprise you & improve considerably with healthy water & good food. Would love to keep updated on him. Can you post a pic?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #5 
sincerelyanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
He might surprise you & improve considerably with healthy water & good food. Would love to keep updated on him. Can you post a pic?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

Why don't we rule out TB? I know its just a baby, but I mean... petco.

Does the baby have any skin lesions? Do you have any pictures? Is it eating and swimming normally?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #7 
babystarz

If the spine is permanently bent like this, it's up to you to decide whether your fish has an acceptable quality of life. Responsible breeders cull fry with bent spines because often the quality of life for these fish ends up being very poor. If you are willing to put in the work required to keep him in a shallow dish (daily water changes, at least) and you don't think he's suffering, then he could do alright.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

^oh, lol theres a pic
Old 10-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

If you do not believe in killing, I can always take in ANY fish, especially bettas. Only ask me if it is a last resort, though, I have bettas waiting in lined to be rehomed, or have a tank setup for them.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #10 
sincerelyanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
If the spine is permanently bent like this, it's up to you to decide whether your fish has an acceptable quality of life. Responsible breeders cull fry with bent spines because often the quality of life for these fish ends up being very poor. If you are willing to put in the work required to keep him in a shallow dish (daily water changes, at least) and you don't think he's suffering, then he could do alright.
I take excellent care of my fish :)
I don't mind taking in another little guy.
The spine is permanently bent, just as the picture, yes.
It's pretty sad, all he does is lay at the bottom of the bowl inbetween rocks and than when I open the lid or give him so food (I've been giving him brine shrimp), he swims up and eats happily and plays around abit.
Than he goes back to the bottom :(