Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

5 Gallon tank mates

What can I keep with Aquarius in 5 gallons that isn't a snail or frog? My frog Bilbo who was recently Aquarius's tank mate has Chystrid Fungus and with the only thing that had high success rates curing it being discontinued his recovery is unlikely. Half the reason I got him was because Aquarius started eating hsi tail, not sure if it was boredom but Bilbo fixed it and after adding him Aquarius stopped. I am sure once Bilbo is dead it will start again. I don't like snails, they create too much pollution and currently my tank cycle has been destroyed because my filter stopped working. As for another frog it's unlikely. I now have the spores in my water and it will take nuking the tank and qt Aquarius for at least three months to make sure every spore is gone for good. Then on top of that it seems my chances of just getting another sick frog with the same damn thing are pretty high since no petshop really qt's for this fungus and I really am not willing to have to go through watching a second frog suffer like Bilbo is.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say nothing.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Well without another animal with him he's going to go back to shredding and chewing up his tail. Should I just let him rip his tail off and end the story there then? I don't think that is really the right thing to do either.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #4 
Leopardfire

If you upgrade to a 10 gallon, you can have fish with your betta such as pygmy cories. There's not really much besides snails and frogs that can live in a 5 gallon.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #5 
shellieca

Unfortunately I have to agree with the other posters, 5g really limits what you can put with your Betta. I've heard of some adding shrimp but with caution as they become Betta snacks. I've never had a Betta nip its own fins so I can't comment on that.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Most of the other options are schooling fish which would put you at risk for over population and over burdening the ecology in a 5gal.

If you really don't want snails or frogs but little guy won't do without company, best alternative option would be to upgrade your tank size like Leopardfire said.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #7 
twolovers101

Personally... I would probably go the shrimp route, they're cheap so if he eats a few it shouldn't be too much of a problem, that, and heck it's a tasty snack xD
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Well without another animal with him he's going to go back to shredding and chewing up his tail. Should I just let him rip his tail off and end the story there then? I don't think that is really the right thing to do either.
i dont think he should have a tankmate. Bettas are aggressive animals and are SOLITARY creatures. End or story. Sorry for sounding rude...
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #9 
Laki

Divide it and put another betta in! They will have great fun flaring at each other. Ludendorff was a tail biter, then I split the tank, he has never bitten since.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #10 
Leopardfire

Quote:
i dont think he should have a tankmate. Bettas are aggressive animals and are SOLITARY creatures. End or story. Sorry for sounding rude...
My betta lives with cory catfish and he really seems to like them. He sometimes sifts on the ground for food next to them which is really cute. Bettas don't have to be alone if you get the right fish.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote