Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Caring for a juvenile/growing betta

Okay, so I recently got a new Betta. He was kind of impulse buy as I had promised myself to take a break for a little bit after my last one passed away at 5 years.

He's still pretty small as he's between 1-1.5 inches ( he might be a bit bigger but he's kind of hard to measure as he never sits still XD ) . He was actually in a tank at the fish store so he was bagged from transport and not put in a cup.

I'm wondering if there is any extra care he needs at his age?

He is is possibly the youngest betta I've ever owned. He has 5 gallons of quarantined tank to himself at the moment and he will be there for a week and a half at least yet. He's been being fed Hikari betta food supplemented ( through alteration to avoid over feeding ) with brine shrimp or blood worms twice a day.

His fins seem to be in good condition, and I've seen no signs of bloating. He did have a few odd spots particularly around the gills when I first got him but those have been clearing up considerably in the few days since I got him home.

He is quite active and eating well and I've been keeping a close eye on the tank parameters.

Anything else I should know/do? I don't want to to accidentally stunt his growth or end up hurting him from not knowing.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

frozen food is good and so is warm water. I have my little girl who I got as a baby and she is thriving in 83 degrees set for water temp and alterations between brine shrimp, bloodworms, New Life Spectrum pellets, and beefheart. In fact when I went to petco last she seems to be bigger than a lot of the female they had there for sale, and a LOT more colorful.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Okay, thanks :]
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote