Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #1 
Calamity
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Pet shops and breeding

Hello, I am new here and have just bought a Betta. I have a few question and sorry if I have posted in the wrong section.

I was very shocked to see the pet shops selling Bettas in cups, or extremely tiny square boxes. The poor things can hardly move around. When I questioned the keeper about how wrong this was they said in the wild the bettas live in rice paddies which are about the same size as what the store is keeping them in. I donít think this is true. Rice paddies are Huge! Yes there water may drop due to drought but surely a cup is nothing like the wild rice paddies which would have plants and things in it.
How do you stop pet shops/aquariums selling/keeping bettas in this condition?

Also how do Bettaís breed in the wild?
I have been told that you canít keep a male and a female in together, what happens in the wild?
Calamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
Hello, I am new here and have just bought a Betta. I have a few question and sorry if I have posted in the wrong section.

I was very shocked to see the pet shops selling Bettas in cups, or extremely tiny square boxes. The poor things can hardly move around. When I questioned the keeper about how wrong this was they said in the wild the bettas live in rice paddies which are about the same size as what the store is keeping them in. I donít think this is true. Rice paddies are Huge! Yes there water may drop due to drought but surely a cup is nothing like the wild rice paddies which would have plants and things in it.
How do you stop pet shops/aquariums selling/keeping bettas in this condition?

Also how do Bettaís breed in the wild?
I have been told that you canít keep a male and a female in together, what happens in the wild?
The only way to stop Bettas being sold in small cups is for people to stop buying them. It's too much work for an LFS or LPS to set up appropriate tanks for them because they can't easily house them together especially the males. With the cups they can have more which means more money in their pocket. As far as the wild, my understanding is that they live in relatively shallow pools even though rice paddies are huge & they can jump from "puddle" to puddle. You may have multiple females to one male & if another male invades I would imagine there would be a death battle. Someone with more knowledge about them in the wild will probably chime in.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #3 
lauraannq
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
the reason people go to pet stores is that it's a problem is finding where to buy bettas... i'm looking for a pretty one in NJ and so far i can't find anywhere.
lauraannq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #4 
homegrown terror
Member
 
homegrown terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
The only way to stop Bettas being sold in small cups is for people to stop buying them. It's too much work for an LFS or LPS to set up appropriate tanks for them because they can't easily house them together especially the males. With the cups they can have more which means more money in their pocket. As far as the wild, my understanding is that they live in relatively shallow pools even though rice paddies are huge & they can jump from "puddle" to puddle. You may have multiple females to one male & if another male invades I would imagine there would be a death battle. Someone with more knowledge about them in the wild will probably chime in.
in the wild, bettas usually don't fight to the death, they fight until one or the other runs away. domesticated bettas have had their aggression cultivated for centuries to make sport animals, which is why they fight more viciously.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #5 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
The rice paddies are actually miles large. They're shallow but not like rain puddle shallow. A male's territory spans large areas, females come around when they need to spawn. Actually I have now words for wild bettas mating but there is no validity in the pet store myth that says they live in the footprints of field workers.
There is plant matter in the water, and along the perimiter there is live plants, plus not to mention um.. rice.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
If bettas ever ended up in a puddle it would not have been on purpose lol. It would also be during the dry season.

The one problem with cups is people SEE cups they may think SMALL SPACES is OKAY. I remember a girl asked her dad why they put those fish in cups and not tanks. His reply was "because they can live in cups" it also does not help that stores allow myths to become as such, making easy money off of 0.5 gallon tanks that come with dividers.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Also, in the wild you will not find the long fin males we keep as pets and it really isn't a fair comparison IMO. The Betta we keep as pets are much different than their wild cousins.

In the wild they have space to get away from each other, in a closed system we keep our Betta-No place to go to get away.....However, in the proper setup-some domesticated males and females can be kept together long term.

The small temporary cups Betta are sold in are the safest and most practical method to keep them for re-sale. Just like all the other species of fish in pet shop that are kept in overstock, poorly stocked tanks. This is for display for re-sale-Plus, with the long fin males-if they are kept in larger tanks the fins/tails could tatter and most people buy long fin males for their fins/tails and color.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #8 
homegrown terror
Member
 
homegrown terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Also, in the wild you will not find the long fin males we keep as pets and it really isn't a fair comparison IMO. The Betta we keep as pets are much different than their wild cousins.

In the wild they have space to get away from each other, in a closed system we keep our Betta-No place to go to get away.....However, in the proper setup-some domesticated males and females can be kept together long term.

The small temporary cups Betta are sold in are the safest and most practical method to keep them for re-sale. Just like all the other species of fish in pet shop that are kept in overstock, poorly stocked tanks. This is for display for re-sale-Plus, with the long fin males-if they are kept in larger tanks the fins/tails could tatter and most people buy long fin males for their fins/tails and color.
i was gonna say something similar...yeah it sucks to keep bettas in those cups when selling them, but consider the seller for a second. in most cases they're not sadistic fish-torturers. a lot of them realise that seller cups are far from ideal environments for bettas, but know their unique anabantid physiology makes it a liveable short-term situation. think of the space, electricity and water costs it would take to house them all in individual heated 3-gallon tanks until they're sold. the real burden comes upon their sale, both from the seller, to inform on what their proper care should be, and the buyer, to adequately provide it. think of it like a tattoo: no matter how good it looks when you get it, it will turn to a muddy color-blob if the artist doesn't tell you how to aftercare it, and the customer doesn't follow his instructions.

Last edited by homegrown terror; 10-13-2012 at 12:05 PM.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #9 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
It's at store level where it becomes worse. You can consider the supplier in that way but once they hit stores and the employees dump them into their cups and then forego cleaning them ever (by squirting that blue stuff in) it makes for poor representation of their care.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
It does. However, it also depends on management itself... Who says what and teaches who works. (PJS PETS in west Edmonton mall VS PJS PETS in Kingsway mall, Edmonton)

As for breeding I know people wont stop breeding pet store fish. Therefore, instead of detouring I inform why I think they should breed quality (not superb even... Just decent) fish...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mouse Breeding and Pet Shops LadyVictorian Finless Friends 1 10-26-2012 10:17 AM
Arg!!!! Pet shops! Gen2387 Betta Fish Care 12 10-29-2011 06:37 PM
2 amazing shops! TheKzv Betta Chat 0 04-21-2011 12:02 AM
pet shops workers!! jlmom Betta Fish Care 4 04-29-2008 11:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.