Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #11 
Laki

How much would it cost to get stickers made up (peta-esque but not extremist) which state something like, "this is not an ideal home refer to ----" with a simple url to FB betta awareness page or something? I know we can't use the forum url but if we all pitched in and bought a roll of custom made stickers we could go to the stores and plaster the boxes with these stickers. If WM caught them and sent them back for credit as "damaged goods" (because they are stickered by a community of concerned citizens) then the company might stop sending them out.

Something like this would need wide support and a network of people who are consistent with stickering. (one batch of product sent back is easily replaced)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #12 
whiskandbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
How much would it cost to get stickers made up (peta-esque but not extremist) which state something like, "this is not an ideal home refer to ----" with a simple url to FB betta awareness page or something? I know we can't use the forum url but if we all pitched in and bought a roll of custom made stickers we could go to the stores and plaster the boxes with these stickers. If WM caught them and sent them back for credit as "damaged goods" (because they are stickered by a community of concerned citizens) then the company might stop sending them out.

Something like this would need wide support and a network of people who are consistent with stickering. (one batch of product sent back is easily replaced)

Probably not much. OnlineLabels sells 100 sheets of round labels (12 labels each) for $18.95. With a purchase of labels you get a code to use their label editing program. You have to print them youself, but the use of the program is a good tradeoff.
If you get caught though (not that it would be likely haha) it could be an issue.

Did WalMart take customer comments off their FB page? There used to be a box where you could see all comments left by people, and you could click "see all" to look at them. It doesn't seem to be there now
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #13 
Laki

Misdemeanor I bet if you were caught. Especially for kids or someone with no record. I mean, stickering is technically vandalism of property but still...
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #14 
Sivan

Adding a url to anything, such as stickers, and spreading them around on stores' products with my Facebook page would hold me legally responsible for anything negative associated with them, whether its considered vandalism or if people decide to take it a step further. I do not hide who I am and it is easy to track who owns a FB page. I have it stated in my blog's FAQ that I ask people not to use or advertise the page in any activity that can be illegal, such as vandalism, or harassing. Posters are fine, as are similar tactics. Also, the page is 100% anti-PeTA.

Walmart, however, should be spoken to but if a difference is to be made it must be done at the top. More people complaining is needed. Walmart enjoys deleting my photos I place on its wall and any negative comments that implicate harm toward their animal stock.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #15 
Laki

Oh my god I never meant to imply to BE like peta. I hate them too. I guess I thought a public facebook page would hold nobody truly liable. Obviously I am wrong. It was just an idea I had for taking action, rather than discussing it on a pro-betta forum. Managers don't care, nor do the producers of such products which is where I got the idea to start activism at the consumer level.
Sorry sivan! We won't use your group name if anything ever was to come about.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #16 
Sivan

No, no. Its fine! I wish we could do things like that but there are legal implications that we have to consider. I mean, if there was no url or attachment to a group and you didn't get caught.... I wouldn't do vandalism or anything, of course, but you can get creative. ;)
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #17 
jolierouge

I'll be honest here. I just joined this forum because I wanted to learn about bettas and sadly I bought that vase and my betta a couple days ago. I am not one of those people who care more about the plant, in fact I am here because I felt sad for my betta and thought he looked a little depressed. Thanks to this thread I now know the truth. I guess I gotta go get a bigger aquarium now. (He should be okay in the vase for a couple more days right?)

Last edited by jolierouge; 10-13-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Terrible spelling and grammar issues.
jolierouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #18 
Aus

I saw this on another site.. beautiful little planted bowl, with all care taken to heat and filter it. I tend to think it's a little small, but for one small female, it might be alright. My female would jump out of this setup in about 2 seconds, however...

I'd throw a baby pothos in the top if I wanted the 'riparium' look.. peace lilies have such huge roots, and I actually think they are ugly in water.

I wish all the betta-vase people would bother to learn the joy of keeping a planted tank (or bowl, in this case). It's so much nicer! And ofc much better for the fish.

Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #19 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolierouge View Post
I'll be honest here. I just joined this forum because I wanted to learn about bettas and sadly I bought that vase and my betta a couple days ago. I am not one of those people who care more about the plant, in fact I am here because I felt sad for my betta and thought he looked a little depressed. Thanks to this thread I now know the truth. I guess I gotta go get a bigger aquarium now. (He should be okay in the vase for a couple more days right?)
Hi, jolierouge, and welcome to the forum!

My first betta was kept in a vase, too, for the first week or so... I didn't know better, and felt just awful when I did the research, just as you do. Don't panic - if the weather is not cold, he'll be okay a day or two, just keep the water clean.

You would get more responses if you made your own thread in betta care, asking tips for new betta owners. You'll find the people here very nice and helpful, I love this forum and I am fussy that way.

You'll need a heater, and some decent betta food no matter what size tank you buy. Also, make the change very slowly, as bettas don't like change.

Looking forward to seeing how you do as a new betta keeper. We were all in that position once!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #20 
homegrown terror

i actually made out some information cards to put in fishbowls at stores, just print off the sheet, cut them apart, fold and place. no one can call it vandalism either, because nothing is ever destroyed except a few sales. if the workers take them out, just print off another sheet and come back again.

homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote