Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #1 
TabsV

Exclamation Help! May or may not be sick?

Hi there, hoping someone can help me.

I had to change the objects in my beta's tank because of a really nasty algae problem. I got him a new castle and eventually found a way to clean all the old stuff. He definitely was not happy (water was continuously milky and gross by the second day) but was still eating. After cleaning all his old stuff, I made the change back over. The first two days, he was fine. Seemed happy again, was eating. But the tank was getting grossly milky again. I noticed on Thursday, he wouldn't eat. Since then, he hasn't eaten anything. His colour is fading, and he has had a small hole appear in his upper fin and lower fin. He is also completely spazzing out, any time I move in my room, someone comes in, or a light is turned on -- something he never did until he stopped eating. When he swims at the top of his tank, he's always turned on his side, but only at the top.

He hasn't produced a bubble nest in going on a month now.

I've been trying to get a picture, but any time I get near the tank for any reason, he freaks out and starts spazzing through the water.

I don't know what to do :(
TabsV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #2 
shellieca

Sorry your guy isn't feeling well. What size tank? Filtered? How long has the tank been set up? do you do water tests? do you use strips or a liquid test? What is your normal water change schedule & how much? How did you clean everything? Is the tank heated? What water conditioner are you using? Have you added anything other than water conditioner to the water? What are you feeding him? Sorry for all the questions but more info is needed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #3 
FishFriend9292

Is something in the tank annoying him? Bettas can rip their tail when flaring to much, and that could explain the freaking out, as he feels stressed. Stress causes color fading, so get rid of different items either inside or outside the tank that could be irritating him. For the tail, i would try salt (about one teaspoon per gallon) and that should heal it.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #4 
TabsV

Tank is about 6" sq. no filter, there was no need. Tank has been set up for 6 1/2 months now, never any problems prior to changing out the items to clean to algae.

Never done any water tests because our water is very consistent here, and was told by people who have had healthy betta's for years that its not necessary with consistent water.

Normal change schedule is once a week - I keep my fish in a quarter of the original water and put in three quarters fresh.

Tank is not heated - was told again by a large number of beta owners it's a waste of money, and I have to agree.

Water conditioner is Betta Safe by Tetra

Nothing else has been added to the water.

I cleaned everything using boiling water and vinegar, and then scrubbed everything back down with boiling water only afterwards.

I feed him only blood worms, as he will not eat anything else.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #5 
TabsV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFriend9292 View Post
Is something in the tank annoying him? Bettas can rip their tail when flaring to much, and that could explain the freaking out, as he feels stressed. Stress causes color fading, so get rid of different items either inside or outside the tank that could be irritating him. For the tail, i would try salt (about one teaspoon per gallon) and that should heal it.
I'll give the salt a try. As far as items, there is nothing new around the tank or in it. I will try removing one of the plants that was there before, but definitely there is nothing else new.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #6 
FishFriend9292

Make sure its aquarium salt and NOT table salt
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #7 
TabsV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFriend9292 View Post
Make sure its aquarium salt and NOT table salt
... Will that kill him?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #8 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabsV View Post
Tank is about 6" sq. no filter, there was no need. Tank has been set up for 6 1/2 months now, never any problems prior to changing out the items to clean to algae.

Never done any water tests because our water is very consistent here, and was told by people who have had healthy betta's for years that its not necessary with consistent water.

Normal change schedule is once a week - I keep my fish in a quarter of the original water and put in three quarters fresh.

Tank is not heated - was told again by a large number of beta owners it's a waste of money, and I have to agree.

Water conditioner is Betta Safe by Tetra

Nothing else has been added to the water.

I cleaned everything using boiling water and vinegar, and then scrubbed everything back down with boiling water only afterwards.

I feed him only blood worms, as he will not eat anything else.
IMO, a 6" sq container is not big enough, that is maybe 1g of water minus the substrate, plants & decorations. Unless your house is really warm the water temp is not where it needs to be for a heathy long living Betta, water temp should be ideally 78-80 but no less than 75. A container that small should have a 100% water change once a week, some will say multiple partial water changes each week. Keeping good water quality in a container that small is difficult, this I say from my own experience. Blood worms are not meant to be their main diet & I know Bettas can be finicky, I know some of mine were but I was able to get them to eat by doing different things such as crushing the pellets into smaller pieces or soaking them 1st for a few minutes, changing brands. As another poster stated there may be something outside his container that is stressing him out, has anything changed there? Personally I think it's a too small, unheated container which I know is not what you want to hear.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #9 
TabsV

I don't really understand how it's too small, considering most people I know that have beta fish have them in smaller containers in the bottom of a living plant, and they've lived happily for years.

Our house is relatively warm, but his water has never been overly warm from the start and he's been happy. The problem started when we had a heat wave and his water got really warm. That's when he first stopped making nests.

As I said earlier, nothing has changed around his tank or in it.

I don't know anyone around where I live who has ever had a heater and their fish have been fine.

A far as the water changes, I'm not sure what to believe as right. Half the people I've seen say never ever do full water changes and only change your water once a week, others say partial daily and full once a week.

This current change in his behaviour only really occurred after I did a full water change because of all the junk in the water.

Also, will table salt seriously harm him? Because after the last poster said to put in salt, we put in a teaspoon before he posted that it had to be aquarium salt.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #10 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabsV View Post
I don't really understand how it's too small, considering most people I know that have beta fish have them in smaller containers in the bottom of a living plant, and they've lived happily for years.

Our house is relatively warm, but his water has never been overly warm from the start and he's been happy. The problem started when we had a heat wave and his water got really warm. That's when he first stopped making nests.

As I said earlier, nothing has changed around his tank or in it.

I don't know anyone around where I live who has ever had a heater and their fish have been fine.

A far as the water changes, I'm not sure what to believe as right. Half the people I've seen say never ever do full water changes and only change your water once a week, others say partial daily and full once a week.

This current change in his behaviour only really occurred after I did a full water change because of all the junk in the water.

Also, will table salt seriously harm him? Because after the last poster said to put in salt, we put in a teaspoon before he posted that it had to be aquarium salt.
I'm going from my own experiences. Yes there are many, too many, people who do what you say, it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do or that its healthy for the Betta. Would you want to live in closet your whole life? All I know is that when mine went from 1g containers that were unheated to the tanks they have now they became much more active & their colors brightened up & there have been no health issues as there were before. As for the salt, I never used table salt only Aq salt, dissolving it in a glass of water before adding it to the container, later finding out salt wasn't necessary. You can use non-iodized salt with no additives. Obviously it is your fish & completely your choice how you choose to care for him, as I stated I can only speak from my own experiences. I wish you & your Betta luck.