Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #11 
blkgardner

My betta spends all day fighting his reflection since he moved to a lit 10 gallon tank. Perhaps a mirror might keep his attention.
blkgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #12 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
i dont think he should have a tankmate. Bettas are aggressive animals and are SOLITARY creatures. End or story. Sorry for sounding rude...
Great news, his current tank mate might actually pull through this Chystrid fungus. It's a struggle but things are looking up and I'm thinking in November after the tank is nuked they can be reunited.

And Rainbow that isn't true for all fish. My betta is actually better off WITH company. Without he was shreading his tail, when I added Bilbo he stopped, even sat on the bottom of the tank with him and since I moved Bilbo from the tank into a hospital tank what do I see but that he is chewing up his tail again. Some betta's actually enjoy company. Every one is different. Before giving out such advice I think you should take that into consideration that no two betta's are the same. I know betta's who even get along with shrimp, just saying yours may be agressive to other fish but mine enjoys his frog.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

My betta has begun to allow the ghosties to climb all over him. he does give them a small nip when they step out of line and start using him as a horse... but I really cant say whether he likes it or not....

I dont really agree that all bettas like to be solitary...
I mean they're like cats and water. very unique personalities. whilst most likes to be solitary... Id say there are definitely those that need a friend.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #14 
Laki

omg I can't imagine what it looks like to see shrimp riding on the betta!! lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

No fish besides Bettas is 5 gallons and Betta compatible my Betta is one of those hyper aggressive.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Well without another animal with him he's going to go back to shredding and chewing up his tail. Should I just let him rip his tail off and end the story there then? I don't think that is really the right thing to do either.
Then get a 10 gallon.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

ADF might work but they are social.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
omg I can't imagine what it looks like to see shrimp riding on the betta!! lol

I'll try and grt a photo for you next time XD
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It does sound adorible. Carter would just eat it. Glad your Betta is peaceful.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

I already have an ADF ChocolateBetta and he works great. The reason I was looking out for other tank mates was because my ADF has Chystrid Fungus a very lethal fungus found on ampibions and contracted by beign shipped with ACF which are immune to the effects of the fungus but are carierers. The petshop I got Bilbo at had both ADF's and ACF so I am sure his water was at some pint contaminated. However a herp guy on a frog site said this fungus is horid but in his reseach he had come up with somthing that might kill it off but not harm the frog, heat treatment. After two days of this heat treatment (raising the water temp up to 89 degrees) Bilbo has been active and eating and I think all the spores and fungus are dying off. However I have to now have a three month quarantine from Aquarius so in those three months I might have to just have a temp tank mate that can move into Nix's 10 gallon once the three months are up.

I'm leaning more towards shrimp though since they are smaller and make a smaller bioload. Ghost shrimp the easiest to add because they are translusant.

And he's a halfmoon double tail chocolate, his tail is fragile, more space means more strain on his slow moving body and more chance of him ripping up his tail trying to just move around. This is why he will always remain in a 5 gallon. His tail is far too large for him to comfortably make it around larger tanks. My female being more active and faster and can comfotably move around is etting the 10 gallon tank since she would make better use of it.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 10-14-2012 at 01:15 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote