Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #1 
madmonahan

2 questions

I'm planning on breeding my bettas this summer but first I must do LOtS of research. I have heard that it's not a good idea to breed petstore bettas, but I don't get it, if it's because you don't know the backround of the betta, you don't know the background of aquabid bid bettas either(maybe some) I just wanted to know if it's ok to breed :)

Also how do you tell the age of a betta, because if I do get a petstore betta i'v heard they can be older and some can be younger, so I want to be able to tell the age of the betta :) thank you!! ;p
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #2 
madmonahan

Sorry I didn't finish the sentence "I just wanted to know if it's ok to breed petstore bettas"
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

It is OK to breed pet store Bettas but it's not recommended as for the claim, you don't know their genetics. The genes can really mess with the color of the offspring, including the tail type and such. And most have deformities such as hunched backs or spoonheads.

I have to disagree with you, the Betta breeders on AB do show the parents if desired.

You can't tell how old they are. But store Bettas are usually 8-12 months old. Babies around 2 months. :l
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #4 
Laki

Petstore bred bettas can come out fine and dandy but I guess when someone is looking around non-pet stores for bettas they might not necessarily want pet store offspring. Lack of form and mysterious genetics and such.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #5 
madmonahan

Ok thank you, that's why I'm doing research :) I don't know for shore I'm going to breed because i'v been busy and havent been able to do research, but I guess we'll have to see :)
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #6 
Laki

Well you're in the states, right? Some members here sell their fry which would give you good stock fish and they can even help you out with starting points on breeding.

Someone recently sold off pairs of their fry as starter breeders for newbies. I don't remember who!! (face-wall)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 
madmonahan

Haha, ok thanks! Ill have to look in to it :p
Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #8 
homegrown terror

breeding pet store bettas isn't so much universally bad as it is unpredictable. you might come out with beautiful offspring, or you might end up with a hundred or so unsellable, or worse, disfigured babies that you now have to either care for yourself, or cull nearly an entire spawn.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote