Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #11 
Aqua Betta

Thank you Perseusmom! I will also pick up a thermometer and small bowl to float him in while he is acclimating. Thanks so much for your quick response and taking the time to explain how to do the water change. Do you use purified water or just tap/filtered water with the Betta drops? I've been using purified with the drops, but someone told me that wasn't good. I'm a little confused because the water tested fine (of course they didn't test the temperature, and I'm thinking that may be the culprit along with feeding him freeze dried bloodworms). Thanks again for your help!
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #12 
Laki

I think there's some info floating around regarding the bottled water. I'm not sure. I use tap water treated with chlorine remover (topfin brand bc it's cheap but it works) and the chlorine in my taps is particularly high I double dose the conditioner usually. What brand is the conditioner you use?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #13 
Aqua Betta

Thanks Laki. I don't know what brand it is (yellow bottle that says 7 drops per gallon), I have it at work, but I will check it when I get there in a little while. I work in a really old building (almost 100 years), so I would never use the water from those pipes for BeBe. I have filtered water at home that I can bring, which is supposed to remove chlorine, and then add the drops to it or stick with the purified (but one of the guys in the pet store said he thought it was overkill to use purified water and the drops, he said it kills the good bacteria too - IDK). I will search the site for bottled water vs. tap water. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #14 
Laki

That might be it, kills good bacteria. You could fill jugs with water from home - treat it with conditioner and then use that! The yellow bottle might be TetraMin.. Is it like an oily consistancy before it goes in the water??
7 drops for a quart-2 gallon is WAY too much! lol I think the directions might say 7 drops for a 10 gallon or something. That's a lot of conditioner, maybe that's affecting water quality (but not showing up on the readers bc those readers check for ammonia and stuff) nbd, I used to use about 3-4 drops of the TetraMin stuff for my 2 and 3 gallon tanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #15 
Aqua Betta

Laki,

Thanks for your reply. It is Tetra, but it says Water Conditioner. Wow, I will have to reread that because maybe it was for 10 gallons, not one. I can't believe I would do something that dumb! I will definitely look into this and make it right from now on if that is the case.

Yes, I saved the jugs I bought today and I will fill at home (using filtered water) and then the water conditioner.

Well, I went out and got him a new tank - 3 gallon with a heater, cover, LCD light, and low flow filter with guard (so hopefully, he won't get caught in it). I also got a thermometer, so I checked the temperature of his little tank and it was 74 - low, but would probably been lower if I didn't leave the heater on (it was nice and toasty in the room ;). I didn't add any rocks, but I did give him his silk plant so he would have something that felt homey. It's nice to know the filter will also keep the water cleaner and the heater will keep it around 78-80.

He acclimated pretty easily and seemed to really enjoy exploring his new boundaries. His fins really sprung back too - he has new found "elbow room" and I think he really likes it.

My only concern is that he still didn't really eat. I think his sight seemed better, but I'm still not sure if he sees me or the food. I tapped the tank and he got excited like he used to, so maybe once his tank stabilizes, he'll get his appetite back.

Anyway, I would like to thank you, and all of the other posters for the help you've given me. I really appreciated it and feel more confident that I can save him. Thanks so much!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #16 
Laki

Wow that's great! I'm glad t hear of the improvement so quick!! Yay for fishie!! Once he's settled (because a new tank, filter, and heater is a big change for him) I bet he will eat again . Betta's won't make themselves starve if there's food offered! lol
(heck one of my boys nearly killed himself bc he ate that day then ate up the snails algae wafer lol)

I'm really glad your Bebe is off to a good start. BTW, any pictures?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #17 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Great! I use prime as a conditioner. It is expensive ($17 Canadian) but there is enough in one bottle to treat 2000 gallons (in the large one). It is only 2 drops a gallon. IME with water conditioners it is a steal. Unless you are clumsy like me and after doing about 3 water changes with the $17 bootle and spill the whole thing. LOL
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #18 
Aqua Betta

Laki,

Thanks for the encouragement - it was great to see him swimming the whole tank. I'm still trying to locate a good food to entice him - I went to two pet stores yesterday to get his new stuff, but they mostly had flake (which the guy admitted they don't like) or pellets, which BeBe never liked.

I think BeBe is still having sight issues - the guy talked me into getting a liquid syringe type thing to try and get the frozen blood worms directly in front of him to smell then drop in front of him, but he was still freaked out and swam away from it whenever I tried. I looked at a food ring, but I think if he gets anywhere near it he will swim away without getting the food? I don't exactly know how they work.

I may go back to work again today to check on him, since I'm off tomorrow too. I will Google different pet stores to find out what type of food they have and will try to get it before I go. Besides, he may be a happy boy again today and eat - at least I hope so.

Regarding pictures, I have a few - they're not that good though - of him in his old tank. I forgot to take some yesterday in his new digs, but will do it if I go today. I'm not sure how to post them, but will try.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #19 
Aqua Betta

MaisyDawgThirteen,

Thanks for your post and friend request (I tried to accept, but don't know if it went through). I also bought a conditioner to help reduce stress and put two drops in too. Now if I can only get him to eat!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #20 
Laki

I have a syringe which I feed bloodworms through. Now whenever I stick the turkey baster in to suck up gravel mess they hoarde it for bloodworms lol
He will get used to it. The blood and nasty stuff that come off frozen bloodworms will be enough for him to smell from the other side of the tank.
If you're concerned about his eyes, stick a mirror up! :)