Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #1 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

loose soil.....???

So I'm doing a water change and adding more plants too cirocs home and I made a big mess! I was wonderind, is it okay to have loose soil on top of the sand? I'm not sure how to fix this as I'm out of sand but have planty soil. I do kind of like the soil being on top but the water is so cloudy but I still need to do some changes. Any advice?
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #2 
Gryphon

Whenever I get soil on top of the sand I take a piece of airline tube and suction it up off the sand. I personally don't like the look of soil on sand (but I do have a gold colored sand) and the betta in there will try to eat anything that is on top as well...

also, whenever soil is on top it mixes into the water super easily, no matter how many water changes you do. I think you would be better off cleaning up the dirt (as best you can) or get some new sand and lay down another layer.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #3 
Aus

I am totally great at messing up my dirt tanks. I find a gravel vac handy for the fine dirt, but I don't usually bother about the big bits, there's not many after I pick through the dirt before tanking it.

In my experience, disturbing the dirt can cause a bit of a spike in the water chemistry so if I'm replanting, etc, and stir dirt up I increase the changes for a couple weeks after til it all settles again.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #4 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

I do like the grungy look with my tank. (Ciroc aka sir rocky) in his cup wanting to be freed. Lol

I think I'm just going to buy some new sand since I need to add more plants.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

get a piece of plastic wrap and cover the substrate under where the water comes in when doing a wc...
nothing should be disturbed
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #6 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Over the plants too?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

well... you should only be pouring the water in from one spot.... lolol. pick a good place with no plants :D I like to use a flat gallon zip lock bag (thicker) held down with a few rocks and pour water in over that. it doesnt disturb the sand.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #8 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
well... you should only be pouring the water in from one spot.... lolol. pick a good place with no plants :D I like to use a flat gallon zip lock bag (thicker) held down with a few rocks and pour water in over that. it doesnt disturb the sand.

That's a great idea!
I normally fill up a gallon pitcher and use a plastic cup ans pour it.in verrrrryyyyy slowlyy. It's almost a long process depending how much of a change I'm doing qich is pretty frequent.in the past week. Maybe like 2 25% and a 50% not including the 2 25% from last night
Old 10-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #9 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

No I did 1 25 and a 50 last night