Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #1 
Jubilees

Overweight or dropsy?

I started to notice that overtime my female betta has been gaining some weight.
Earlier today I decided to do some research because I noticed that the scales on her belly were stretching. I got results that she might have dropsy.
I really hope she doesn't because she's been with me for almost a year now. She has the weight gain (bloating?) symptom, and it also says they 'pinecone' but the thing about her is that she isn't pineconing, her scales are simply stretched out, unless that's how it starts, and she's been the same size for about a month now. Also, the only thing I see different in her behavior is that she tend to hide behind the filter now. She seems to rest on it.
So, I was wondering if she's overweight or sick?

I included some pictures. Sorry for the bad quality, she kept moving around and I couldn't get a good one, but I hope they help?
Attached Images

Last edited by Jubilees; 10-13-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Jubilees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #2 
Bluebell

by the looks of her belly... she looks constipated because its bloated.
i would suggest daily epson salt baths. dont worry i had the same problem with my fish... i thought it had dropsy but over time with epsom salt baths and by not feeding it for a few days he went back to normal.. took a long time to cure him though... also try to raise the tempreture a bit :)
p.s - doesnt look like dropsy to me! try not feeding it for a while
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #3 
Bluebell

epsom *
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #4 
Bluebell

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....tures+bluebell <--- pics of my fish when he had a big belly and the scaled seemed really stretched out but he went completely back to normal after treatment with epsom salt, raising temp and no food :)
hope this helps calm ur nerves
Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #5 
cjz96

How often are you feeding her? She looks a bit eggy to me.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #6 
Bettaworldfighters

Cool

beautiful Black Crown Tail ,I have A red one and a steal blue one.

Last edited by Bettaworldfighters; 10-14-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Bettaworldfighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #7 
Bettaworldfighters

Cool I know everyone cant be wrong,lol

From pictures she looks Normal, doesnt look bloated looks filled with eggs, no one here can say shes constipated or has an illness from these pictures , you got some good advice my bettas fast 1 or 2 days a week. but they eat well during other days. Salt should always be added to a gallon of water 1 table spoon,if more like 4 table spoons ,then dip fish into mix in net for 4 to 6 minutes 4 to 6 times a day. I know you love animals but feed your bettas live food, fresh water live foods ,like moskito larvae,fresh water live bears fry. dont buy sickly live bearers buy healthy ones. 2 females in hatchery could feed a male for quite some time if they drop fry every 3 to 4 weeks. and dont lol, but try un cafinated green tea, just drop a tea bag in 1/4 of a gallon. but your fish in there for a few days a week, cures tons of problems and there dark water fish.[/quote]
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #8 
Jubilees

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
by the looks of her belly... she looks constipated because its bloated.
i would suggest daily epson salt baths. dont worry i had the same problem with my fish... i thought it had dropsy but over time with epsom salt baths and by not feeding it for a few days he went back to normal.. took a long time to cure him though... also try to raise the tempreture a bit :)
p.s - doesnt look like dropsy to me! try not feeding it for a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjz96 View Post
How often are you feeding her? She looks a bit eggy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaworldfighters View Post
From pictures she looks Normal, doesnt look bloated looks filled with eggs, no one here can say shes constipated or has an illness from these pictures , you got some good advice my bettas fast 1 or 2 days a week. but they eat well during other days. Salt should always be added to a gallon of water 1 table spoon,if more like 4 table spoons ,then dip fish into mix in net for 4 to 6 minutes 4 to 6 times a day. I know you love animals but feed your bettas live food, fresh water live foods ,like moskito larvae,fresh water live bears fry. dont buy sickly live bearers buy healthy ones. 2 females in hatchery could feed a male for quite some time if they drop fry every 3 to 4 weeks. and dont lol, but try un cafinated green tea, just drop a tea bag in 1/4 of a gallon. but your fish in there for a few days a week, cures tons of problems and there dark water fish.
[/quote]

Oh, this is such a relief!
I was getting worried, so I'm glad to know that she isn't in any major trouble. I feed her once or twice a day. I stopped feeding her last night and added some salt just now, so I hope it helps.
I do feed her live food, but not too often so I'll try getting her more of that.

Thank you all for the help! (:
Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 
Jubilees

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaworldfighters View Post
beautiful Black Crown Tail ,I have A red one and a steal blue one.
Thank you! I didn't know they had black crowntails until I saw the little one at a local aquarium store and I just had to have him. Crowntails are my favorite.

Do you have any pictures of your CTs?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #10 
Bettaworldfighters

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilees View Post
Thank you! I didn't know they had black crowntails until I saw the little one at a local aquarium store and I just had to have him. Crowntails are my favorite.

Do you have any pictures of your CTs?
the of pictures is bad,when I get a new camera I will post my beauties

Tags
betta, dropsy, overweight