Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #21 
iElBeau

You can feed other foods for your snail... most will eat romaine lettuce or baby spinach. If not, and you don't feel your tank will provide enough food (chances are it won't) you can make a thing called "snail jello" which is made of fish food, baby food, and unflavored gelatin or agar agar. There's plenty of recipes if you google them :) The betta may eat at this, but it would take a VERY long time for him to eat it before your snail :P
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #22 
nel3

i have one zebra nerite in my 5g and he/she keeps the algea away but its too clean and my betta eats the algea wafer grrr.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #23 
Laki

My VT ate the wafer I plunked in for the snails too. He's now in epsom q tank getting over a dangerous bloat o.o
Never again. Never again.
My nerites wouldn't eat zucchini when I took them out of the tank. I put them back in the tank and for two days Gammon has been upside down in his shell. SO I think you need to factor in shy snails (those who don't like to be moved)
Try weighing down a piece of lettuce to the gravel and see if they eat it. Betta shouldn't.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #24 
asukabetta

I've decided to put Gary (snail) with Yuri, my newest betta when he is out of quarintine. Yuri doesn't care at all about anything, hardly swims down so will probably ignore the wafers.

I do notice that the wafer kinda becomes mush, and it contributes to bacterial bloom... so i've decided to give him 1/4 wafer, not to mention he doesn't even finish it at all, so I feed him every other day. Keeping the water clean.

Also been looking up cutler bones... and they are for birds??? Whaaa???

Anyways so far the snail is doing alright you guys are awesome :D
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #25 
Laki

Cuttle bone is made from cuttlefish. Birds use it as a source of calcium and to trim their beaks and feet on. I hear it's great for snails, but it's a floater so you'll need to weight it down! You can find them at the dollar stores, grocery stores and pet stores.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #26 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Cuttle bone is made from cuttlefish. Birds use it as a source of calcium and to trim their beaks and feet on. I hear it's great for snails, but it's a floater so you'll need to weight it down! You can find them at the dollar stores, grocery stores and pet stores.
hrmm... i shall think of something to weight down, perhaps under decoration or something :D or half buried in the gravel, I hope it doesn't dirty the tank to much :D

Should I just like put the whole thing in there or bit by bit D: and... how long should it be there o.o and sorry for the infinite questions, I wanna do things right the first try XD
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote