Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 
Laki

IAL and live plants

I took out the IAL and my plants seem to be doing great. But I hate that I cannot give my bettas a blackwater environment now.
Will IAL harm the live plants? Or snails?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 
registereduser

excellent question, subscribe
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

I use IAL to treat my fish. and when Im done... I run my filter with purigen and clear out the water. not sure what ur question was but...

My ial never harmed plants...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #4 
Laki

Well I heard something like it messes with pH of water. Or the blackwater affects photosynthesis..
Old 10-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I'm glad you posted this, I'm actually having the opposite problem. My 29g comminuty, the plants used to thrive before but now that I have taken out all IAL and tinted water, my plants are dying. Mine did better WITH IAL. Totally going to watch this thread :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #6 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I'm glad you posted this, I'm actually having the opposite problem. My 29g comminuty, the plants used to thrive before but now that I have taken out all IAL and tinted water, my plants are dying. Mine did better WITH IAL. Totally going to watch this thread :)
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #7 
Laki

omg lol
Old 10-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Using IAL tints the water, which means not as much light will be available to your plants. You can compensate by using a higher rated light, or instead choosing lower light plants such as anubias, java fern etc.

Also it depends on how dark your water to be. I was successfully growing ambulia in a very dark tank (think water was almost black) by using a very strong light over the top.

I have found many aquatic plants prefer slightly softer water. You just don't want to make it too acidic, although some of my tanks have very low pH and carbonate hardness, and all my 'low tech' plants are thriving.

Betta splendens don't really need a blackwater environment. They aren't like some of the wild bettas that require an extremely low pH to thrive. I only use a very small amount of IAL in with my CTs because of their finnage. Otherwise none of my other bettas used to have any in with them.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #9 
Laki

I found my bettas made more bubble nests and seemed more happy with the IAL. So IAL does lower the pH.. And softens the water? NOT good for snails. Gotcha. Tha's good to know, thanks!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

so wait... lowering PH i understand. but howwwww in the world does IAL soften water?!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote