Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #71 
Blacklight

If only I could get a picture of him body surfing, but he's just too fast and there's no way I'd be able to get the damn camera focused on him.

I can't photograph the girl. She's in the bedroom. My wife is also in the bedroom sleeping. She probably wouldn't take kindly to me flashing a flash bulb in there while she's trying to sleep.

I'm so happy that my wife finally came around, read up on the fish and took appropriate measures. It was also nice that we got these tank kits on sale. She was rather overwhelmed with everything prior.

I just wish I could get the tank temperature up just a hare more. 75 degrees is right on the line. The fish seem to be doing fine with it at that temp though. I think this is the first time since we got her that I've seen the girl swimming around with open fins.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #72 
ao
TFK Moderator

XD Im glad she and you have done so much for the fish!
it isss getting late ( or early, however you define 5am) Im off to bed too! gnite ! so happy this story has a happy ending ! ^____^
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #73 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Awesome! Has anyone mentioned cycling? I'll just plunge into it anyway. :P

In tanks 5 gallons and over it is reccomended to cycle your tank. You can do this fish in or fish out. It doesn't really matter. It is basicly trying to get a stable bacteria cycle going. All the work on your part is doing maybe 2 water changes a week for around a month.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #74 
Sena Hansler

And I second the motion of avoiding those silly 7 day feeder things. Such a mess! Used them once in a community tank and the snail hogged it anyways. It doesn't help one bit... The automatic feeders (that hang off the side) I have heard horror stories of them malfunctioning or falling in, causing a terrible mess as well.

The thing with bettas, is that a couple days won't hurt them. I say if you are gone for more than 3 days have someone pop in and drop a couple pellets in to each. Pellets are better than flakes for that reason, and the reason of easier measurement and not as messy :)

Glad to see they perked up
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #75 
DragonFish

Ahh, so wonderful to hear the wife came around and you were able to get these guys in proper tanks!! Really, there is no comparison to the behavior of a betta in a proper environment, its such a huge difference from their behavior in the small unheated bowls....

I think everyone covered most of the bases and answered your questions, but I thought I'd link you to an awesome thread about cycling your tank that might help some.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Also.....I would just like to point out that you can go up to 50 watts safely with a 5 gallon tank with a heater. I know it can sometimes be a little hard to find the smaller wattages depending on what petstores you have available, but you can go a little larger so long as its adjustable and whatnot.
75 is obviously not the end of the world of course, certainly much better then 70, but I would personally return those heaters(I've heard that those Tetra heaters, even if you get lucky and get one that keeps some kind of stable temp, tend to crap out and stop working randomly as well....they're really unreliable long-term)and either get something a little larger thats adjustable, or you could order those Elites from Amazon. Thats just my advice though.....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #76 
Sena Hansler

I agree. I use tetra sometimes... But they need to be replaced almost twice a year which in turn is just as expensive or more so than buying a good quality heater. Jäger brand is great... I used old ones and they never died on me. We use a "smart" heater which was 30.00 for 100. Watt, and it can be fully submerged. Shop around :) every store is priced differently. The same heater we got for 30 would have been double at the small store in town.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #77 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I have a 10 gallon with a guppy, two platies and five espei rasbora. I use a 100W topfin heater in there. I have had it since December 2011, no problems at all. I also have a 5 gallon with a betta and a nerite snail and a mystery snail (new addition) and I have used the topfin 50W since february 2012, no problems. I just set up another tank, this time a 5.5 gallon. My mom got the ehater this time. For some reason she picked out the most expensive and highest quality one. LOL It is the hagen elite. Keeps the tank a nice and toasty 80F. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #78 
DragonFish

I've seen a lot of people use the Top Fin heaters, and most seem to not have any issues, but I'd just like to share that I had a very bad experience with the brand.....I'm convinced it is what contaminated one of my 5 gallons and nearly did in my fish. I noticed my boys weren't acting right when I first set everything up, and there was an odd smell coming from the tank, so I broke it all down and rinsed everything again....and the rubber end of the heater popped off to reveal and absolutely FOUL smelling rubbery glue substance. With how that stuff smelled, there is no way that could have been safe to put in a tank....

I may have just gotten a bad heater, like I said lots of people seem to have success with them, but I personally stay clear of them now. Just offering up my experience....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #79 
homegrown terror

ZooMed now actually makes undertank pads similar to their Reptitherm pads specifically for bettas and other small-tank inhabitants. i don't know if they're adjustable, but if you find they warm the water too much, you can hook them up to a dimmer (like you would use for a desk lamp) and regulate the temperature that way. with an unadjusted or jury-rigged heater, especially an undertank heater, i'd make sure you have a VERY accurate thermometer in the tanks, as you'll have to be very careful to monitor their output. i do, however, agree that you'd be best served by shelling out $30 for a nice 10gal and then another $12 for a divider, and putting a standard submersible heater in it.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #80 
Sena Hansler

I actually have a digital thermometer, which tells you the temperature to he decimal point whenever getting heaters test them before use... Use a good quality surge protector to not only protect the heater (and filters) from dying but also your fish!!