Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #1 
titusthebetta

Good Beginner Plants?

I'm getting a new 5 gal tank tomorrow and I've been thinking about adding a live plant or two, but I'm really new to live plants. What plants would anyone recommend to a beginner? I really want something that's preferably potted or floating and require low light, if at all possible.
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Java moss and fern, anarchis, Marimo, anuibus, crypts, and duckweed/riccia fluitans.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #3 
toad

My favorite floating plant is wisteria; hornwort is nice, too, but I think the wisteria is prettier. Both do well in low lighting.

Anubias and java ferns are great, as are Marimo balls (the easiest plants ever!). Amazon swords seem to do pretty well in low light (at least, mine seems fairly healthy) but they do need root tabs to feed off of. And, I've become quite fond of Aponogeton bulbs, or Betta Bulbs; I've got one in my community tank and am trying to sprout a few more. They're very cool looking.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Just want to point Marimo is algae. How did you get your bulb to sprout? Cryptocorne Wendettia is a great crypt.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #5 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Just want to point Marimo is algae. How did you get your bulb to sprout? Cryptocorne Wendettia is a great crypt.
My first bulb, which the only one out of three that grew, was sprouted in a little container of tank water in my window. I think they sprout fine if you just put them in the tank to begin with however. The plant is so neat, it's got 4 or 5 flowers and constantly has new leaves.

I recently bought a crypt from Petco, but I don't know what kind of crypt it is. I'm praying it doesn't melt, because I really like it!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have 3 or 4 species of crypts never had crypt melt I think I will try your bulb idea.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

What do you mean by melting? From the light?
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #8 
titusthebetta

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'm going to see how the new tank works and do more research before I commit to a plant, but I definitely want to try it in the future.
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #9 
rmarkham

Anacharis is a great one, and it's good for keeping nitrates down as well! It's a great low light background plant. I just ordered some this past week and love them!
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #10 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
What do you mean by melting? From the light?

Crypts are prone to what we call "crypt melt" where all their leaves melt away and the plant dies. I have no idea what causes it, but so far, my crypt is doing pretty good :)