Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 
shellieca
Reference Team

Fighting Females

Well that's my first experience with that. I decided to purchase 4 new females today so I set up my QT tank went to the LPS & found 4 females. I brought them home, acclimated them for a couple hours & then released them into the QT tank. 2 of the females went after each other like I've never seen with any of my others. They were locked onto one another, the one got her fins ripped to shreds, they would NOT separate, it was a little scary. So now I have one in a large, non-see through Tupperware bowl because they were still trying to kill each other through the see through container and I have to figure out what to do. I'm not comfortable putting any of the new Bettas into my community tank until I know they're healthy & I don't want to leave her in the bowl for weeks until she's through with QT. I may have to spend some money I really don't have to spend.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #2 
registereduser

Maybe bring her back to the store for store credit?
or is she too damaged?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Female splendens, particularly those that have been housed separately will fight. It is a natural and expected behaviour.

In an ideal sorority, you should not be able to see from side to side or from front to back because of the amount of cover provided in the form of either live or fake plants. This is the most important factor in managing aggression in a sorority tank.

There will be aggression when you first set-up a sorority. However, once the initial pecking order has been settled, generally the worst you should expect is torn fins every now and then and maybe some fighting around feeding time.

Sounds like if it was a QT tank, there was not nearly enough cover provided for them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 
Fin Fancier

Maybe if there's not enough money for a new tank you could try sectioning off a small space for the damaged female while she heals. There's a link somewhere for home made dividers that doesn't look like it would cost too much.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #5 
registereduser

I must be extremely fortunate, my sorority has very little cover and no fighting at all. A little chasing now and then but no damaged fins.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

How old are your females? My females grew up together and then lived together long that even when I took most of their plants away they would rarely fight.

However, if your females are only young they will not usually fight as aggressively as if you dumped several mature females into a tank and expected them to get along.

Sororities are always a crap shoot. There are things you can do to minimise the risk of aggression or that something will go wrong, but they are fish and you can't always control what happens.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #7 
registereduser

I think they were all on the young side, that must be it. My oldest VT female is quite large and she never goes after newcomers.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

we've got VERY little hostility in the sorority we set up last night...a couple of gals had TINY nips this morning, but by that time they've all settled into their own little zones, bathory rules the middle/lower tank area, camilla has the top-right-front corner etc, so everyone's getting along.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have 3 females already in a 46g tank & while there has been some fin nipping they have never locked onto each other, one has always "walked". The QT tank has multiple silk plants & some cave structures so line of sight is easily broken if one chooses to walk away but neither would. This isn't the 1st time I've put females together & I know it's a bit of a crap shoot, so to speak, I've just never seen them fight like I've seen videos of males doing. In any case I think they've settled, after separating them for a few hours I put the one back in, they had a stare down & are both now swimming in separate areas of the tank. I'll keep checking on them & if it seems they're getting way too aggressive with each other I'll once again separate them & figure out a new game plan. Thanks all.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

It all depends on the individual female. I had a few very aggressive, mature females that have settled down once they were exposed to the sorority for a week or so (I kept them in a breeders' net inside the sorority tank).

However, I have had one or two who were unable to live in a sorority as no matter how much time passed they could not tolerate the presence of the other females.

Likewise, I had a big, healthy female who was bullied almost to death for no apparent reason I could discern. She was not a particularly aggressive fish, and some of the main antagonists were smaller than she was. I never understood why it was that she was so ostracized by every single female in the sorority.

It can be hard to tell what's going to happen until you put everyone together.