Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 
PinkGuava

Wild mahachai pair in a 15 gallon tank.

Hi. I bought new mahachai pairs. I read online that pairs can be kept in a heavily planted tank. I set up a tank myself with a lot of plants and hiding places. For 3 days, the male doesn't attack her at all besides chasing her a few times. Even though the female manages to get away from him and hide, she's always stressed out with horizontal stripes. Should I keep her in with him and wait longer for them to get along or seperate?
PinkGuava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #2 
MSG

Are you trying to breed them?

Unless you're trying to breed. you shouldn't house them in the same tank. They'll tear each other apart & you'll be waiting at least a month for their fins to heal.

You could divide the tank.

Photos of your setup would be helpful.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #3 
PitGurl

Does he always chase her? If so I'd separate her. It's not much of a life to have to hide all the time. Also if you keep them together there is a good chance they may spawn. So unless you're prepared to deal with fry you may want to take her out.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Depends on tank size.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Unless you're trying to breed. you shouldn't house them in the same tank. They'll tear each other apart & you'll be waiting at least a month for their fins to heal.

You could divide the tank.

Photos of your setup would be helpful.
I think your confused with B.Splendens.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #7 
PinkGuava

Thanks guys. But I'm confused, an IBC article wrote that pairs can be housed together.

Quote:
Housing
Pairs would be best kept in 10 gallon aquariums, larger aquariums could house more pairs. In a nice roomy environment that is well planted with some hiding spots such as clay flowerpots or other types of caves the pairs will color up nicely. Females can be just as colorful as the males. When spawning it is best to separate individual pairs and spawn them in much the same manor as splendens except that separating the female is not necessary. They are best kept at 78 to 80 degrees F. Turning the temperature up a couple of degrees also encourages spawning.
But I've decided that I'll use a divider. Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #8 
babystarz

It's possible she's just shy. My smaragdina have been in their tank for a week now and they still won't come out in the open when I'm in the room. And if I spook my albimarginata or imbellis they will show stripes. I would increase hiding spots to help make her feel secure. And keep the water dark with IAL or driftwood tannins.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #9 
PinkGuava

Thanks! I'll try the IAL my brother has. And give them a day or two and see how that goes before I start the division if things don't go that way.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am pretty sure 5 is too small for the species.