Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #1 
Lizzie the Badger

"Prevanative" medicine killing my bettas

I'm sad to say that 3 out 7 of my females are daed, two are dying as I type this.

Last Sunday, I purchased Tetra's Lifeguard all-in-one medication.

After hesitating I put in two tablets for my 10 gallon tank, on Monday, becuase I had a hard case of fin rot, and the aquarium salt did not work after the 10 day treatment.

Tuesday I looked to see if the fish were alright for another dosages. I decided not to.

Wednesday, I looked again. They were even worse. By the end of the day, Rubby was very weak, was swollen in someplaces, had discolored scales. I put her in a cup that I floated in the main tank with a low water level so she didn't have to struggle to get air. Same with Zetta, her lower body and tail were swollen and she couldn't swim well.

Thursday, this morning I looked in the tank. Zetta and Rubby were dead. Ritz looked as thought as thought she had a small white substance (it wasn't fungus) attached to some areas. I told my dad that I would do a full water change when I got home form school she was dying. I took her out in a cup so she wouldn't struggle with breath.

Rakki has lost use of her right pectoral fin. I put her in a cup as well. She's struggling to survive too.

Asia was found dead at the bottom of the tank.

Ritz is struggling with her last breaths.

I feel like such an idiot! If I hadn't used that medicine they would still be living. I followed ALL of the directions. I'm going to do a full water change as soon as I can.

Last edited by Lizzie the Badger; 10-11-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I would end up cleaning out the entire tank and starting over. Sorry to hear it hit that hard!! I try to avoid mess as much as possible... :(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 
Lizzie the Badger

Thank you for Sena. Sadly Ritz took her last breath. Although it is said, I'm glad because she was suffering.

I called Tetra, the guy was almost certain I overdosed. It isn't possible thought because the directions said one tab per 5 gallons. So for a 10 gallon, I put in two tabs.

I just am so confused.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 
Lizzie the Badger

Just a quick update. I did a water change. I just checked on the tank.... Rakki is dead. Now I only have two survivors.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Have you separated the two females? Get them into clean 1-3 gallons, no meds and if possible if you have IALs add some to the water along with stress coat. I find it odd for it to have been an overdose, but I also find now of tetra brand is made for 10 gallons rather than 5. :/
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

unless your 10 gallon was filled to the brim with water...and have nothing but fish in them (ie no substrate plants etc) it's an overdose..

unfortunately it happens, I'm sorry for your losses

you should never have to medicat e unless your fish are sick. fin rot can usually be cure with good clean water and maybe a little Aq salt.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

I am so sorry for your losses! Wow, that stinks! I never use medications...I have one guy who lost quite a bit of fin in a filter incident, I have only treated with clean water. He is healing slowly but surely..I don't trust those labels..hugs to you. I hope the other two make it.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #8 
Lizzie the Badger

Thank you everyone. Yesterday Haru and Venus passed away. I can't believe that in two days seven bettas died.

Lesson definitely learned.

I'm waiting a couple weeks before I try owning bettas again, I just don't feel ready right now.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Sorry to hear!! :( Don't let this get you down though... Lesson is learned. Keep AQ and EPSOM salt on hand as main meds - and if you do a sorority again, sometimes separating to heal "fin rot" or something works best because t lowers the amount of stress.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #10 
Lizzie the Badger

Thank you for the advice. Yeah, I won't stop keeping bettas.... this just difinitely was a shocker.