Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Tail issues

Both my long tailed double tailed bettas have ratty looking tails. It used to just be pho phan who in which I bought because he had such a BEAUTIFUL! big flowing tail. Started off with small rips, now he looks like he went to a terrible barber who chopped it all up. Now No Nens tails is starting to fray.

-Uncycled evolve 4 tanks (? 3 gallons of swim space)
-I do 40-60% water changes every other day
-stress coat added at each change
-I have been adding a tiny bit of AQ salt the past couple of changes
-They have each have a java fern and an anubias (I just tossed out their mint charley and sprite as it was dying :/)

For a while I was thinking perhaps Pho Phan was just nipping when I wasnt seeing, at night or something.
Now with No Nen starting down the same path im thinking fin rot? There is no black edging on Pho Phan though and No Nen I cant really tell as hes dark blue. Their behaviors seem normal though.

I am hoping these tanks will cycle... but should I be doing more or less in water changes at this point? The tanks have been running for about 2 full weeks.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic...

What kind of filter, filter media care, type of substrate and decorations, water temp, additives used, nutrition-type/amount feeding schedule, source water-well water, tap water and do you have a water softening unit hooked up on the house and if so, what kind and can you bypass it.
Do you know if you have hard or soft water-ph, KH/GH and any other water prams if known and type of testing products.

How old are they-or how long you have had them and how long in the current tanks...is this 2 weeks total or 2 week in new tank and you are sure its not tail biting.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

I filled in my responses after your Q's :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Can you post a pic...

What kind of filter (aqueon evolve built in filter, I have the intake covered with craft mesh and the outtake covered with sponge) filter media care (rinse cartridge), type of substrate and decorations (Sand, live plants and house), water temp (78-81 depending on the house, they do have heaters), additives used (stress coat & currently a bit of AQ salt), nutrition-type/amount feeding schedule (4 soaked omega one pellets PM), source water-well water (artesian well), tap water and do you have a water softening unit hooked up on the house and if so, what kind and can you bypass it (no water softeners).
Do you know if you have hard or soft water-ph, KH/GH and any other water prams if known and type of testing products. (I believe our water is slightly on the harder side, & I have no other water prams)

How old are they-or how long you have had them and how long in the current tanks...is this 2 weeks total or 2 week in new tank and you are sure its not tail biting (I would guess at least 1 year olds and ive had Pho Phan who has the most tail damage since Aug 20th and No Nen who is just starting to have issues since Sept 11th. They have been in these tanks for 2 weeks though and my plakat asside from being jumpy shows no signs of tail issues or anything else health wise and I do all the same water changes. I havent caught them tail biting at all and really doubt thats whats going on but I suppose its possible. They both had beautiful tails in their petstore cups...I would think I would have seen tail biting since then??)
Thanks for your help! Hope I gave enough info, if you have any other Q's ill do my best to answer :)

These two pictures are around when I first got them ...

Pho Phan (Sept 1st)

No Nen (Sept 11)

And today (Oct 5)

And here is a picture of their home...so far I cant find anything sharp enough to cause the damage asside from plants roots or their hidy house, no nen now has a hidy house instead of a terracotta pot as the pots were growing white fuzz? But the hidy house doesnt seem as though it could cause this much fin damage but perhaps it could? The outside doesnt have sharp edges and I dont feel any on the inside??

I took all the floating plants out this AM too because they were beginning to rot...could that have caused excess ammonia?

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 10-05-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #4 
Friendlyfishies

bump*
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I love your setup...nice job on them....

The Blue DT looks like he might be tail biting-but its hard to tell-the other one looks like damage due to use and water movement...

Also, look for items in the tank that can pinch the fins-like large stones, decorations-especially near the edge of the walls

With the long fin males-sometimes due to genetic and nutrition-those delicate long heavy fins can be easily damaged from use-flaring, swimming etc... especially with water movement.

Nutrition is another factor-when you soak foods-this can leach the nutrients and water soluble vitamins.

What I would recommend-turn off the filters and start clean water and tannin treatment-Make 50% water change daily for 3 days using premixed tannin water-Add a tannin source to the tanks too.-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-Then get on a regular schedule of 50% twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% to include light vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots.

The tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties, help to ease stress and can help toughen fins/scales.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-If you have access to live mosquito larva-offer several rinsed several times a day to boost protein intake to help support healing and immune response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very nice! Your fish are beautiful.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote