Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #11 
azurefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Try different lights. LED vs fluorescent etc... I have never heard of sunlight being bad for fish !! Otherwise I'd have mine in complete darkness. It may cause algae... Sure... But -shrug- that's what my Siamese algae eater is for ;)

Anyways, what is the temperature of your tank? Do you have a heater? When did you do a water change last?

Also as for his eatin habits... I give my bettas frozen bloodworms (thawed), pellets and freeze dried only as treats. I also give mealworm meat... Same supplier as always so I have never had a parasite problem because of food. My bettas have lovely colours!! If he refuses food, don't give in to freeze dried. They lack a lot that pellets and other sources could give, which as someone stated it does affect colour. I had to wait until one of my bettas was hungry enough to stop resisting the food I used!!

Edit: I find some lights are very strong. I break it up with floating plants.
wow, thats good then about the sunlight..then tomorrow I'll give him sunbath in the morning! hopefully it has a good affect for his colour

my temperature is always between 27-23 :D
usually 25-26 everytime I check...
I don't have any heater, as I love in tropical country *Indonesia, the temperature everyday for now is 35 degrees celcius in daytime!
I use air conditioner when it get really high..and yes it can stabilize the aquarium temperature
I already gave some silk floating plants.. looks like I need more then +,+

anyway thank you for the reply^^ helping me so much
azurefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Wow! Lol :) lucky. I live in Canada and winter is drawing near - a hasty and unwanted move caused many of my heaters to break or fritz! :(

Well, I have heard the myth of bettas liking dark murky water... My females did like it more than direct light so I stuffed the top of the water with floaty plants!! :) still allowing some light. By each betta is different :) some of mine do not have direct light but have room light. Try different ways and see what works!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

In there natural habitat the water is rich in tannins which makes the water look different and lower PH but does not affect water quality. so not really a myth plus fish dont have eyelids.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #14 
asukabetta

Quote:
Wow! Lol :) lucky. I live in Canada and winter is drawing near - a hasty and unwanted move caused many of my heaters to break or fritz! :(

Well, I have heard the myth of bettas liking dark murky water... My females did like it more than direct light so I stuffed the top of the water with floaty plants!! :) still allowing some light. By each betta is different :) some of mine do not have direct light but have room light. Try different ways and see what works!!
I dunno, someone was ranting somewhere how sunlight was bad, however i did wonder "how on earth did they survive in the wild?" I noticed my bettas having difference preferences in light.

One hates darkness >_> I have to put a night light or I'll find him stressed out or pale in the morning (he's afraid of the dark) while the other is indifferent.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Yes by sunlight is not bad for them. If in direct sunlight, the water temperature fluctuates and -GASP- algae appears. but I strongly recommend never keeping fish in complete darkness. :)

" bettas hate light and should be kept in a dark quiet room away from noise and high traffic areas."
I've heard that from so many people. ;) that's the myth I mean choclatebetta just worried someone will actually stick their poor betta in an isolated dark room :( (my one betta needs to be moved upstairs so be can be in a traffic area! He's bitin his fins again)
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #16 
dbrooke1

hello! i really hate to butt in here. i just have to ask about never keeping a betta in complete darkness. what about when you're sleeping and when lights are turned off? is it really harmful? how do they survive in the wild at night? :)
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #17 
azurefox

Quote:

UPDATE!
I let him stay in this Isolating Tank for 1 Night (with all light turn off, cos I'm sleeping )
His Colors is BACK! XDD
well not fully tho..but it's farrrrr better than before...
now I wonder is my Betta hate bigger tank? XDDD (oh no..)
or is it because of the Filter...
anyway...after I moved him into this tank last night, he often spread out his Fins...
so for now, maybe the cause is :
Filters (sometimes he swims to the output tube and he looks pushed away to the tank wall)
tankmates (maybe some of them disturb him..)
water quality? (still checking..)

I think it isn't because of Light too.. even tho I gave him more Light, I didn't see him try to find a hide places...he loves to swim in the front side of the tank where there is no hiding places.. still try to find the cause! >.<"
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #18 
azurefox

well, I think they're different from Wild Betta..
Since they was bred in the small tanks with no Rocks, Woods or Plants.. (well maybe there is aquaplant). But yes my Betta loves plants.. He loves silk plants that I bought for him...

My Betta wasn't being catched from the wild for sure...
The seller kept him in the Small Glass Tanks..maybe the volume is only half of my Isolating Tank... (and now I really wonder do my Betta isn't good with bigger tank because he lives in a small tank since a baby?) =_________=" dang...
Old 10-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrooke1 View Post
hello! i really hate to butt in here. i just have to ask about never keeping a betta in complete darkness. what about when you're sleeping and when lights are turned off? is it really harmful? how do they survive in the wild at night? :)

I meant permanently.

And good to know he is doing better!! :)
Old 10-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #20 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
...but 3 otos and cories is overstocking.
Yes, definitely overstocked! Otos are about 2-3 inches long, right? So you'd really only be able to have one in a 5 gallon with a betta (there's a 1 gallon-per-inch-of-fish guideline.) But since Otos and Cories are shoaling fish, you can't have just one in the tank. The only tank mates you can have with a betta in a 5 gallon are one snail OR a few shrimp OR an African Dwarf Frog.
Your betta may be stressed out from having so many other fish in his tank. Stress can cause colors to fade.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, light, pale, sick