Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

cycling a 2.5 gal?

Im going to be setting up 2.5 gals for my boys once their ready to move out of their hospital tanks..im kind of thinking of cycling the tanks...I have clear ammonia for my 20g that im going to start cycling should I try and cycle the 2.5 gals? Wouldnt I just use the same clear ammonia and small filters? Will it be difficult to keep them cycled?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #2 
Myates

Tanks smaller than 5 gallons tend not to cycle the way larger tanks do- there isn't a whole lot of surface space that is needed for it to happen properly. The cycles tend not to hold, nor be as stable. You can place a filter media or rock from an established tank in it though to help build up the good bacteria, but if not then that is fine..
The tank will create it's own cycle of sort, and hold beneficial bacteria, but waiting the 6+ weeks that is needed to cycle a larger tank isn't necessary.

What is clear ammonia? Other than the household cleaner? If you are meaning a water conditioner, then yes.. use it.. always use water conditioner each time you do a weekly water change..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

[quote=Myates;1276454]
What is clear ammonia? Other than the household cleaner? quote]
I think thats what the OP means, pure ammonia.

In addition to seeded media, try adding filter foam to the intake or output, a second cartridge or a sponge filter even so that you give BB more surface area to grow.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote