Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 
bow2darthtater

Confusion about aq salt...

Hey everyone-

I've heard some conflicting ideas about aquarium salt and hoped somebody could clear it up for me. Maybe it's just one of those things that everyone does differently.

I add a teaspoon of salt to a gallon of water each time I do a water change. The info I got was that having a constant amount of aquarium salt was good for my bettas, but I have also been seeing some people say that it should be used more like a medicine, only when a betta is unhealthy.

Thoughts?
bow2darthtater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow2darthtater View Post
Hey everyone-

I've heard some conflicting ideas about aquarium salt and hoped somebody could clear it up for me. Maybe it's just one of those things that everyone does differently.

I add a teaspoon of salt to a gallon of water each time I do a water change. The info I got was that having a constant amount of aquarium salt was good for my bettas, but I have also been seeing some people say that it should be used more like a medicine, only when a betta is unhealthy.

Thoughts?
Welcome to the forum!

I only use AQ salt for medicinal purposes. If kept in a tank for more than a week at a time, it actually weakens the fish's immune system and can do damage to their organs and so on. It also has to be dissolved before adding.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #3 
babystarz

It should not be used constantly, these fish thrive in fresh water as opposed to brackish water because that's where they evolved. Being in water with AQ salt long term can damage a fish's kidneys (not all fish have kidneys, but bettas do). I know some people do dose one week out of each month to prevent external parasites, but only for very fragile fish. A better option for general betta health is to keep an Indian Almond Leaf in the water. This is from the natural habitat of all betta fish, and it has general antibacterial and stress relieving properties that they respond well to.

Last edited by babystarz; 10-13-2012 at 07:08 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #4 
bow2darthtater

Thanks! I'll stop using the salt on a regular basis. Can I find the Indian almond leaf at a pet store or would I have to check a specialty aquarium store?
bow2darthtater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #5 
Myates

Most of the time you have to order IAL online.. ebay and aquabid are good places to go to for fairly cheap prices.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 
Sivan

Oldfishlady says that regular oak leave are generally the same as IAL and you can use ones you find in your yard as long as they do not contain pesticides or other harmful sprays on them.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #7 
Myates

I often use oak leaves.. you will want to make sure they are naturally dried and fallen on their own, as well as clean from pesticides as stated above. It's about that time of the year here for me to gather, have a couple of oak trees in the yard I get the leaves from. IAL is great to use, but if you have multiple tanks and don't want to spend money, then oak leaf is the way to go. I picked up a couple baby leaves the other day that I'm drying out right now to use in a divided tank, they are small yet gives the boys their anchor they love when building nests.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium salt