Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #1 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Looking for new filter

I am having a couple problems with the current filter, one of which being the motor is starting to give out. I have been using the current filter for a good few years, but I think it may be time to replace it. It was a petco brand filter.

It is for a 10 gallon aquarium which will be housing a betta once he's done in quarantine. I am on a bit of a budget so a 50+ dollar model isn't an option. I'm currently looking at this model-

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A285-Mar...0423141&sr=1-7

Does anyone possibly use this filter in their aquarium or have any other suggestions? I want a good filter, but one where the flow is easy to control.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #2 
pittipuppylove

I used this exact filter for my old 5.5 gallon betta tank. It is extremely quiet as long as you are able to stop it from vibrating against the tank, which is easily done by either readjusting it or by placing a folded up paper towel between the tank and the filter. The adjustable feature is really nice - the lowest setting is barely a trickle of water coming out, and even getting close to full blast didn't seem to bother my betta (granted he's a PK and therefore a better swimmer - a larger-finned betta may have more problems). The filter comes with a sponge to cover the intake and therefore does a good job of protecting fins. It comes with filter media, one with carbon and one with zeolite - as my tank was planted I opted to get a carbon refill pack and just use the carbon cartridges; however, if I was still using it I'd probably modify them to remove the carbon filling and refill it with plain filter floss. The cartridges are exteremely easy to change and there is very little mess - just remove the lid, slide out the old, and slide in the new. The only issue I had was that it didn't do much to break up the protein film at the water's surface, but I honestly found that to be a very minor issue. If I hadn't decided to split my ten gallon for two bettas, I'd still be using it.

However, I'd probably suggest getting the s15 or s20 for a ten gallon. The s10 was great for a 5.5 gallon, but I don't know if I'd use it for more than that. The s20 only a couple dollars more on Amazon, and it never hurts to overfilter.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Thank you for the input, I'll make a note to go a bit bigger if I go with this brand.

Again thank you very much for the input. :]
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote