Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What dog breed do you like?
German shepherd 3 10.71%
Border collie 2 7.14%
Shih tzu 2 7.14%
Golden retiever 2 7.14%
Borozi 1 3.57%
Puggle 2 7.14%
Brussels griffon line 1 3.57%
Rottweiler 1 3.57%
Husky 2 7.14%
Any mix breeds 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #31 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I have three dogs..all rescues. They are all kennel trained, even my youngest, Leo is doing great with it! Cody, the little black guy, is so in love with his kennel that he won't sleep anywhere else, he even whines for me to "put him to bed" lol. This is the pack...
Attachment 66384
This pic was taken two months ago, and Leo is quite a bit larger now!
No offense but your "pack" looks small. Chokolatte and Blaze are friends with a wild pack. Every time I go to somewhere I let them play with the wild pack. Probably 13-15 dogs. The pack is very nice rescues stranded or abandoned pets. I'll try to get some pics!
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #32 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I do:

Nice huskie or malamute it's hard to tell from a picture...
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #33 
registereduser

What do you mean "wild pack"? Are these dogs owned by anyone? They just run free around your house?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #34 
LittleBettaFish

Domesticated dogs aren't actually a pack animal anyway. Studies have been done on this. They will form social groups, but they do not actually fit the definition of a true pack.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #35 
TheCrabbyTabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Domesticated dogs aren't actually a pack animal anyway. Studies have been done on this. They will form social groups, but they do not actually fit the definition of a true pack.
Caesar Milan is totally wrong then? He always talks about how they are a pack animal, and that your/their family is their pack, and also why you should be the leader of said pack and that you claim dominance in a calm and assertive energy like nature to get them to listen to you and behave.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #36 
LittleBettaFish

I personally loathe Cesar Milan and the impression he gives to Joe Blow dog owner about being 'alpha' and 'pack leader'.

I am not part of my dogs' pack. I am their owner. There is a big difference between forcibly dominating your dogs until they submit and achieving results through a two-way street of respect and trust.

http://www.caninemind.co.uk/pack.html

I found this article very informative. I believe there have also been studies done in Romania? about stray dogs and their behaviour.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #37 
TheCrabbyTabby

I much prefer Victoria Stilwell's method of using positive reinforcement and rewards instead of the whole "Dominate the dog and make it submit". That is such an old fashioned and very dated method that proves over and over again to be inadequate and in some cases even more harmful than not.

I also like how Victoria uses her clothing options to emphasize that dominance is not a viable means of training a dog. For those of you who don't know, she dresses in a way that is reminiscent of a dominatrix, i.e. blacks and other bright colors and boots with heals, complete with deep red lipstick and a ponytail.

I am more so respectful of her methods because she is not only formally trained herself and has a successful business backed by years of experience and dog trainer certificates and licenses, but she is just so knowledgeable about dogs overall.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #38 
PinkGuava

Awwwww... everyone's dogs are so cute and lovely! BTW My sister just adopted two shih-tzus today! I'm so excited. ^____________________________^
PinkGuava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #39 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah our puppy acts aggressively towards other dogs because she is fearful. The worst thing you could do with her would be to punish her when she is growling and putting her hackles up.

However, a lot of people seem unable to distinguish between fear and actual aggression and so think they can solve everything by dominating their dog and asserting their role as 'pack leader' in a physical fashion.

Yesterday she went to the vets and all she wanted to do was play with all the dogs in there. When we first got her she actually asked to go outside as she wouldn't stop barking. She used to growl and snap at puppies and the other day at dog club she touched noses with one without a fuss.

I have used a lot of praise, rewards and distraction to get her a lot more relaxed around other dogs.

Of course I do lose my temper with our dogs (like yesterday when our big male who knows better tried to snatch a chicken carcass out of the bin) but I never view every little indiscretion like going out a door in front of me, as some bid to take my role as pack leader.

Cesar Milan seems to use a lot of flooding and I always wonder what these dogs are like 6-12 months down the track once the cameras have stopped rolling. IMO you really have to work with the owner as well as the dog on a consistent basis if you are going to have success. Most of the techniques I see Cesar Milan used are not going to be something the average dog owner is going to be able to emulate, and in most cases they just seem to be a band-aid that doesn't address the actual underlying issue.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #40 
Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I personally loathe Cesar Milan and the impression he gives to Joe Blow dog owner about being 'alpha' and 'pack leader'.

I am not part of my dogs' pack. I am their owner. There is a big difference between forcibly dominating your dogs until they submit and achieving results through a two-way street of respect and trust.

http://www.caninemind.co.uk/pack.html

I found this article very informative. I believe there have also been studies done in Romania? about stray dogs and their behaviour.
X 1,000

Another good article on the "pack theory":
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s_20416-1.html
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog breeds, dogs, perry, perry spams tags, training