Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #71 
LittleBettaFish

My wilds get pretty savage during courtship. I could always tell when they were feeling ready as the male and female would have a full-on flare and fight session before commencing.

My rutilans female is highly aggressive towards the male when she is ready, and they will nip and chase each other around for a few hours pre-spawning.

However, I have never had a male seriously harm or kill a female, which I know can be the case with splendens.

I find that with bettas, the violence shown during the courtship process seems to be a test by both fish to see if their partner is the best possible candidate for spawning.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #72 
PitGurl

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #73 
LittleBettaFish

No worries.

When I first got my persephone pair I worried I had been given two males. As soon as I released them into their tank, they started flaring and fighting and chasing each other around for hours.

They spawned later that night and I have the fry to show for it.

Sometimes with wilds best approach is the hands-off approach. It can take them a while to figure things out.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #74 
LittleBettaFish

Giving my unimaculata pair some attention. Their tank at the moment just has all my spare plants chucked in so it doesn't always look like it does now.

These guys have spawned and I am raising around 15-20 of their fry in a separate tank. Not really my cup of tea, but my mum loves them so I had to purchase a pair for her.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #75 
blueridge

Beautiful fish LittleBettaFish!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #76 
PitGurl

@ littlebettafish- Your tanks are so pretty.

Well no eggs yet. The female will hardly come out of hiding. If she does he chases her relentlessly. She hit the glass a couple times this moring. He's not even trying to lure her to the nest. I think I may pull them when I get home. I contacted the breeder to see if he has another male. I'd like to have a backup just incase this one doesn't work out.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #77 
LittleBettaFish

What does your spawning tank look like?

Maybe just set-up a tank and have the female hanging in a breeders' net inside. Then once she is actually actively trying to get to the male, release her.

I agree that it's no good if she's scared and hiding. Wild bettas can be sensitive to being moved around so that is why I keep my pairs in together.

If you keep the actual female in a breeders' net inside their permanent set-up or a separate spawning tank until she wants to be let out then I think you will probably have more success.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #78 
PitGurl

Here are a couple pics I just snapped. They're driving me crazy. I think the male just doesn't know what to do. These guys are supposedly wild caught so I don't know their ages. They are in a half full 10 gallon with lots of plants and hiding spots.

I heard back from the breeder and he does have another male that I'm going to purchase. I want to have more then one anyways so I can introduce different genes into my line.
Attached Images

Last edited by PitGurl; 10-17-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #79 
LittleBettaFish

Have you been conditioning them on live foods or only frozen?

I personally would do a water change with slightly cooler water and dump a whole lot of live food in, add a couple more IALs and see what happens.

Never tried my hand at spawning this complex, but I've found the triggers for most betta species seem to be the same.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #80 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wish I could spawn my fish.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote