Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #21 
Luimeril

i've bought two bettas from my local walmart. my first one was a horrid case. almost no tail, bloated, so pale it was impossible to see what color he was, very dark stress stripes..... he died three days later. i gotta find the pics i posted.

second one was their last live betta. the only other was a long dead veiltail. i bought the CT, who looked steel blue, and gave him to my niece as an Easter present. over a year later, King Steve is a royal blue flare monster. 8V

they have the tags there. for more bettas. but it's been three months, and no sign of them yet. so i'm hoping they don't get anymore.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #22 
VanBoy

Yeah. They thought they were doing something good but it's just as bad. A bigger air hole is good but too big is bad because of the possibility of the fish jumping out.
VanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #23 
Luimeril

aahh, here he is. my darling Remy. ;3; he was gonna be a pretty thing. probably was a pretty thing. his there days with me, were his best. he was active, despite his condition, even though he couldn't do much.

http://i53.tinypic.com/70z9fd.jpg
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #24 
Tikibirds

Tell me how petco or petsmart is any better??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #25 
laynisample

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Tell me how petco or petsmart is any better??
All of it is relative. As i said previously my petsmart is my favorite. They take really good care of the fish and the guy doesn't sell to just anybody. He's a personal friend of mine and I've heard him suggest larger tanks and most important, heaters. Walmart seems to be consistently bad because they don't really know anything about fish or have people dedicated to the fish, however I went to an area near where my mom lives where a walmart had the best bettas available and all the cups were clean with no dead or sick fish.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #26 
xShainax

The new Wal-mart near me actually takes care of their betta's. I never saw a dead one and I have seen a few with big bubblenests in their cups
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #27 
sareena79

I got my boy from walmart. he was one of the few healthy ones, the rest were all a mess but I can say that alot of the chain pets stores arent much better. atleast the ones around here. it really is sad ;(
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #28 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Hmm my Walmart does not have fish at their store, but I have been to a walmart where they kept fish.. It wasn't very good at all; I didn't bother taking a closer look at the bettas. The communtiy tanks did not have brownish water, but there were dead fish and all that tragic stuff.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #29 
toad

Didn't read through the replies (sorry!), but I just wanted to chime in and say that my Cali and Percy both came from Walmart - I had walked out without them at least 5 times and couldn't do it again, knowing they were dying an awful death. I took them home in July, along with my purple girl Delilah (who I lost a few weeks ago), and they are both doing very well.

While I don't advocate supporting Wally World's fish keeping practices, I don't regret buying any of the 3 fish I got from there. Now I just try to steer clear of Walmart altogether, so I'm not tempted to save any more.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #30 
LadyVictorian

I will have to say petco and petsmart are not better than walmart. Petco sells babies which should be illegal. Petsmart stacks cups and fish suffocate. They also sell females toooo young GRRRRR. All of those stores are on my rescue list.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote