Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Mini Bow Replacement Hood?

I have the 5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow. I dropped the hood a few days ago and broke the light fixture. I took it apart and the part where the bulb screws in is broken off- it looks like there were tabs on it that broke so I can't repair it.
Does anyone know if Aqueon sells replacement hoods? I tried to go to their website but I'm at work and their site is blocked.
Thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 
Leopardfire

I broke the light fixture on my mini bow 5 too. I've looked around, but I haven't been able to find a replacement. I checked Aqueon, but they don't sell spare hoods either. Hope you have better luck finding one and sorry I couldn't help more.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

Ok, thanks anyway!
I ended up using a really bright LED desk lamp and putting plastic wrap over the tank so he doesn't jump out (air can still get in on the side where the filter is). I actually like the way the light looks a lot more than the compact fluorescent light that was in the hood.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 
Leopardfire

Could you post a pic of how you set up the tank? I'm having the same problem so I'd like to see how it worked out for you? Thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Sure, I'll take a picture tonight after work and post it. It's pretty simple- plastic wrap over the top, but because of the heater and filter there's a space where air can get in underneath the plastic. And then I have an LED desk lamp that I got at Walmart and I just have that set up right over the tank. The light is so bright I can't look at it directly. I think it's good for my plants because I moved in a moss ball from my other tank that wasn't getting much light and two days ago it was a very weird color, but now it's bright green again.
I think the lamp is a small version of those LED plant growing lights, because when I look at it when it's off, it's a panel of 12 LED's, I think. But when it's on it looks like one light because, like I said, it's so bright I can't look at it directly.
Anyway, yeah, I'll post pictures tonight.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #6 
Leopardfire

Okay thanks. It's too bad they don't sell replacement hoods anywhere
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #7 
OrangeAugust

Here are some pictures:
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #8 
Leopardfire

Thanks for posting pics. Your tank looks really good! I love the decorations and plant. The light also looks good there, but how did you secure the plastic wrap? It doesn't look like you have a rubber band there or anything.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Thanks!
The plastic wrap sticks to the tank when you stretch it.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

you dont need the plastic wrap! you should be able to take off the clear plastic from the minibow hood and use it as a cover :D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mini bow aquarium, replacement hood